Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Metal templates

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    any of you hand piecers out there remember the metal template sets you could buy with the sand paper on the back?

    I found a whole box of them in my sewing room...must date back to the late 80's early 90's!
    THinking I might get rid of these one day soon!

  2. #2
    Super Member RkayD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,841
    I have a few of them. I love them.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RkayD
    I have a few of them. I love them.
    are yours that funky gray metal, sort of textured?
    They are sure heavy for as thin as they appear. Make great weights!

    I used to hand piece a lot in Alaska and even taught it in the villages, but here in OK I rarely teach and when I do you can bet it is NOT going to be hand piecing!
    I suppose they could be used for regular piecing, these are for making 12" blocks!

  4. #4
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,167
    Blog Entries
    1
    what a treasure you uncovered! the nice thing about the metal ones is they last alot longer...my plastic/acrylic templates wear out, the edges loose their crispness...that has never happened with the old metal ones. i wish i still had some of my grandma's old ones...i don't know what happened to them but i bet one of my aunt's just tossed them :(

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    what a treasure you uncovered! the nice thing about the metal ones is they last alot longer...my plastic/acrylic templates wear out, the edges loose their crispness...that has never happened with the old metal ones. i wish i still had some of my grandma's old ones...i don't know what happened to them but i bet one of my aunt's just tossed them :(
    have some of my granny's old cereal box templates...I keep them in a notebook with the baseball card sleeves...I love to look at them!

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    here is a list of the 12" block templates I have.
    wheels, Star of Bethlehem, windblown square, starry path, monkey wrench, castle wall, broken dishes, royal cross, fairlington square, fox and geese, crossed canoes, friendship knot, clay's choice, twisting star, drunkard's path.

    I googled the name on them which is Roy Daniels-tinsmith, but came up with NOTHING on them.
    Some of these are pretty difficult blocks! Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    722
    Do they have holes in them? You could string them together and make a wind chime.....

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by ewecansew
    Do they have holes in them? You could string them together and make a wind chime.....
    yes, they do....but they are great to use..so no wind chimes yet!

  9. #9
    Senior Member NDQuilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Pennsylvania
    Posts
    326
    Blog Entries
    13
    They sound like Ardco templates. I love these because the edge does not deteriorate and minimal slipping when tracing. I'm sure other handpiecers would love them.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by NDQuilts
    They sound like Ardco templates. I love these because the edge does not deteriorate and minimal slipping when tracing. I'm sure other handpiecers would love them.
    nope, they are not Ardco, I googled them and found out they are a coated metal and have a window. These are bare tin with sandpaper on the back and are solid..no windows!

  11. #11
    Super Member AliKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,888
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    any of you hand piecers out there remember the metal template sets you could buy with the sand paper on the back?

    I found a whole box of them in my sewing room...must date back to the late 80's early 90's!
    THinking I might get rid of these one day soon!
    Gads, those should be seen as historical items. You might wasnt to find a way to display them?

    ali

  12. #12
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by RkayD
    I have a few of them. I love them.
    are yours that funky gray metal, sort of textured?
    They are sure heavy for as thin as they appear. Make great weights!

    I used to hand piece a lot in Alaska and even taught it in the villages, but here in OK I rarely teach and when I do you can bet it is NOT going to be hand piecing!
    I suppose they could be used for regular piecing, these are for making 12" blocks!
    Could any of you please share some pictures of these metal templates? I have never seen one ever. thanks

  13. #13
    Super Member RkayD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,841
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by RkayD
    I have a few of them. I love them.
    are yours that funky gray metal, sort of textured?
    They are sure heavy for as thin as they appear. Make great weights!

    I used to hand piece a lot in Alaska and even taught it in the villages, but here in OK I rarely teach and when I do you can bet it is NOT going to be hand piecing!
    I suppose they could be used for regular piecing, these are for making 12" blocks!
    yes those are the ones. I bought them about 15 years ago when I took my first quilt class. I use them every now & then.

  14. #14
    Super Member roseOfsharon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    4,505
    Blog Entries
    3
    Take some pictures of them and post for us to see :) Please

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    here are pix of the larger templates.

    grandmother's fan set
    Name:  Attachment-120461.jpe
Views: 27
Size:  105.9 KB

    double wedding ring set
    Name:  Attachment-120538.jpe
Views: 21
Size:  27.4 KB

    front of the DWR set
    Name:  Attachment-120539.jpe
Views: 26
Size:  50.7 KB

  16. #16
    Super Member no1jan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    2,094
    Have you decided how much you want for them? Also, are there more designs? The last 2 weren't on your original list.

    Thank you,

  17. #17
    Super Member quiltmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In Hiding
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    any of you hand piecers out there remember the metal template sets you could buy with the sand paper on the back?

    I found a whole box of them in my sewing room...must date back to the late 80's early 90's!
    THinking I might get rid of these one day soon!

    I wouldn't get rid of them....they are treasures to keep! You might find out you may use them one day or you could use them for a display in your studio area. I just love old treasures.

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltmaker
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    any of you hand piecers out there remember the metal template sets you could buy with the sand paper on the back?

    I found a whole box of them in my sewing room...must date back to the late 80's early 90's!
    THinking I might get rid of these one day soon!

    I wouldn't get rid of them....they are treasures to keep! You might find out you may use them one day or you could use them for a display in your studio area. I just love old treasures.
    I know...I have been playing with them..making me a NEW hand piecing project..and must say..I remember now why I loved these templates...they are amazing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.