Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Metal templates (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/metal-templates-t101669.html)

jaciqltznok 02-21-2011 06:55 AM

any of you hand piecers out there remember the metal template sets you could buy with the sand paper on the back?

I found a whole box of them in my sewing room...must date back to the late 80's early 90's!
THinking I might get rid of these one day soon!

RkayD 02-21-2011 06:56 AM

I have a few of them. I love them.

jaciqltznok 02-21-2011 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by RkayD
I have a few of them. I love them.

are yours that funky gray metal, sort of textured?
They are sure heavy for as thin as they appear. Make great weights!

I used to hand piece a lot in Alaska and even taught it in the villages, but here in OK I rarely teach and when I do you can bet it is NOT going to be hand piecing!
I suppose they could be used for regular piecing, these are for making 12" blocks!

ckcowl 02-21-2011 07:47 AM

what a treasure you uncovered! the nice thing about the metal ones is they last alot longer...my plastic/acrylic templates wear out, the edges loose their crispness...that has never happened with the old metal ones. i wish i still had some of my grandma's old ones...i don't know what happened to them but i bet one of my aunt's just tossed them :(

jaciqltznok 02-21-2011 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
what a treasure you uncovered! the nice thing about the metal ones is they last alot longer...my plastic/acrylic templates wear out, the edges loose their crispness...that has never happened with the old metal ones. i wish i still had some of my grandma's old ones...i don't know what happened to them but i bet one of my aunt's just tossed them :(

have some of my granny's old cereal box templates...I keep them in a notebook with the baseball card sleeves...I love to look at them!

jaciqltznok 02-21-2011 01:00 PM

here is a list of the 12" block templates I have.
wheels, Star of Bethlehem, windblown square, starry path, monkey wrench, castle wall, broken dishes, royal cross, fairlington square, fox and geese, crossed canoes, friendship knot, clay's choice, twisting star, drunkard's path.

I googled the name on them which is Roy Daniels-tinsmith, but came up with NOTHING on them.
Some of these are pretty difficult blocks! Not sure what I was thinking when I bought them!

ewecansew 02-21-2011 01:20 PM

Do they have holes in them? You could string them together and make a wind chime.....

jaciqltznok 02-21-2011 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
Do they have holes in them? You could string them together and make a wind chime.....

yes, they do....but they are great to use..so no wind chimes yet!

NDQuilts 02-21-2011 02:39 PM

They sound like Ardco templates. I love these because the edge does not deteriorate and minimal slipping when tracing. I'm sure other handpiecers would love them.

jaciqltznok 02-21-2011 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by NDQuilts
They sound like Ardco templates. I love these because the edge does not deteriorate and minimal slipping when tracing. I'm sure other handpiecers would love them.

nope, they are not Ardco, I googled them and found out they are a coated metal and have a window. These are bare tin with sandpaper on the back and are solid..no windows!