Houston for IQF

Old 02-25-2011, 05:06 AM

DH gave me a trip to IQF for Christmas this year. I am so looking forward to going. Has anyone been and have advice. How many days to allow local things to see etc ? I know this is early to plan but I am so excited.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:24 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by NDQuilts
DH gave me a trip to IQF for Christmas this year. I am so looking forward to going. Has anyone been and have advice. How many days to allow local things to see etc ? I know this is early to plan but I am so excited.
Honestly, I don't think many people go to Houston during IQF to view the local sites. :-D
Most attendees spend the time in the convention center, their hotel room, or traveling between the two. And there are those who prefer to stay AT the convention center ;-) to cut down on the commuting time.

I always stay in a different part of the city, like over by the Galleria, because I always have a car, don't mind driving, know my way around, and my group likes to sample the local cuisine.

But honestly, some nights, we could barely hold our heads up at the table, that's how exhausted we were, and we've been going for many, many years.

As a first timer, I'd suggest forgoing the site-seeing. You'll be so overwhelmed by the quilts and vendors.

Have a great time and enjoy the show!

And that's a great present you got!
Old 02-25-2011, 05:31 AM

What a wonderful gift!! Are you planning to take classes or just do the show? You will love it!! I've been going since it started as the Houston Quilt Festival. I think the class book is already available, if you haven't gotten it yet. You just gotta stay the week! I'll PM later and I am sure other Houston area quilters will be in touch. Bring empty suitcase and good walking shoes...lol.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:18 AM

I'm planning to take one or two classes. I just checked and the catalogue will not be out until July. I'm probably going to fly on wednesday as it appears to be the shortest for me of all flights that week. I understand completely spending all the time at the show except that there is a new museaum opening so I think we will spend some time there too.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by NDQuilts
I'm planning to take one or two classes. I just checked and the catalogue will not be out until July. I'm probably going to fly on wednesday as it appears to be the shortest for me of all flights that week. I understand completely spending all the time at the show except that there is a new museaum opening so I think we will spend some time there too.
If you can, try to get there in time for the Preview on Wednesday night. Not quite the crazy crowds you'll see on Thursday.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM

My biggest advice to you if you want to take a class is....SIGN UP AS SOON AS YOU CAN!! All the classes fill up quickly!

I was there for the entire show last year. Went to the preview also. Needed all that time so we could look around and take everything in. We did the vendors first, then on to the quilts. The vendors, since there are a TON, along with demonstrations took pretty much the entire time. We saved one day for the quilts, which gave us plenty of time for that. Many of the quilts, you couldn't take pictures of, so that made it go quicker. Couldn't stand and gander for a long time at one to get "the best" picture.

Take cash, along with credit card. There were a couple booths that only took cash, which was odd, but that's ok.
They do have a package check for $1. And, each time you go back to it, it'll cost you $1. I think that's pretty reasonable.
The bags sold out by the end of Saturday, if I'm not mistaken. So, if you are wanting a Houston bag, I suggest that you get it right away.
Look thru the list of vendors for ones that you REALLY want to see. Map out a plan. That way, you aren't crisscrossing all over the place. The convention center is huge and like MTS said...you will be exhausted by the end of the day.

One place if you want to check out is a nice wine shop/restaurant. It's called Corksoakers. It's at the back of the Convention Center, about a 5 min walk. She has wonderful wines and you can also get food there. Nice place to sit and relax and chat with friends, old and new. I'll be honest...we were there EVERY night! She had buy one/get one free coupons and they also have a free shuttle that will take you back to your hotel. If the shuttle is done for the night, they will call you a cab. Cab will cost no more than a few dollars depending on where your hotel is.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Have you gotten your hotel room yet-they book up fast around the convention center? There are alot of quilts shops around the houston area-sometimes they do quilt shop tours-The show will keep you very busy-plan to send several days
Old 02-26-2011, 11:17 AM

First need to get a room downtown like RIGHT NOW! Go to this site and look you can see When Houston show starts and good info to get you started www.quilts.com
Old 02-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Take advantage of all the freebies that the vendors give out. Lots of FUN and very informative. Leave your purse at home but do take a large bag for goodies. Most of all enjoy. We welcome you to Houston.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the nudge on the hotel. I had no idea that the room blocks would be sold out already. I did some negotiating an have a reservation. Now to move on to flights.