Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Meet the Teachers at the IQF in Houston >

Meet the Teachers at the IQF in Houston

Meet the Teachers at the IQF in Houston

Old 10-11-2014, 03:49 AM

Default Meet the Teachers at the IQF in Houston

I'll be teaching at the International Quilt Festival for the 1st. time and I'm so excited!!! I was a Aerospace Composite Tech-(Soft goods) quilter/seamstress that sewed on the Space Shuttle. I'll be talking about the special Thermal Protection blankets (quilts) that covered the outside of the shuttle,along with other related space related sewing, factual,historical,and hopefully,funny stories for the folks who plan on stopping by!
I'd like to ask all of the members of the Quilting Board if there is anything they might want to know about the above topics or any thing of interest that they'd like to ask. I 've been given 55mins. to talk,plus I'll be bringing "flown in space" items and a shuttle tile for "show and tell".
Please let me know what you'd be interested in hearing/learning. Thanks!!!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

WOW, I wish I was going. Sounds like a very interesting topic. I would be interested on how you research what insulation works best and if there is anything that can be used by quilters. Quilters living in the cold part of the country during the winter months are always trying to find items to make their quilts warmer. I am sure it is going to be fascinating !! Welcome to the board.
Old 10-11-2014, 04:21 AM

Welcome to the board!! Gosh!! I'm sure any thing you think worthy of sharing with us would be interesting and greatly appreciated. And congratulations!
Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. I would want to know if any of those space fabrics could be used in quilt making. I watched a video from Meredith Woolnough and she mentioned that water solvable fabric was invented for the medical field. Apparently it was used to make the bags to hold medical instruments for sterilization and the bag disolved just leaving the clean instruments. Get your thinking cap on and find some uses for space fabric. With it's thermal insulating properties, maybe blankets for the homeless? How about hot pads and oven mitts if the cost wasn't prohibitive.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:11 AM

Welcome to the board, themomcat. Your topic sounds interesting... what a fun thing you've been able to do. I don't have any questions but am glad you chose to come be with us.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I admire you! Thank you for bringing the quilting world to space! Did you ever think about releasing a fat quarter to float around in space for all eternity? That would have been my first thought. LOL
Old 10-12-2014, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations! Welcome from Michigan!