Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
my husband just diagnosed with diabetes >

my husband just diagnosed with diabetes

my husband just diagnosed with diabetes

Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 AM

Web sites: American Diabetes Association
WebMd.com Tons of good information out there, support boards and look up local universities that have medical schools they usually have education sites for diabetes for providers and patients.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 AM

I too just recently discovered I have type 2 diabetes and I posted a request on here a couple of weeks ago for any recipes or ideas anyone might have, but no one responded. Thank all of you who have posted here. It is very helpful. I have lost 40 lbs. since being diagnosed. I am learning new things every day. My dietician told me to eat what I want, but to watch the portions and then check my blood sugar exactly 2 hours after I eat to determine what I can or cannot eat. Thanks again to everyone for the info. Some of the things that I do is cook my veggies in the oven or in steam bags. I also do fish this way. I buy sugar free jello and go ahead and jell it, then add chopped apple, banana or whatever fruit you like, a few chopped walnuts and fold in some sugarfree coolwhip. It makes a great fruit salad.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:25 PM

My honey is too and we both love pasta. But you can buy a spaghetti squash and bake it. I then add bolognese sauce. Pretty darn tasty (a Rachel Ray recipe). Plus it does not bother his numbers either. I personally do not like the whole wheat pasta, but do make it from scratch and make a "lite wheat" pasta. If you have a kitchen aid mixer recipe is in the instruction booklet. Cook more from scratch and the numbers stay low. More work for us but healthier honeys are a good thing.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Attachment-171596.doc (24.5 KB, 120 views)
Old 03-18-2011, 03:34 PM

Drop white rice from your menus - use wild rice instead.
Basically go on the Atkins diet plan. Lots of meat, proteins, etc.
Stay away from breads, sugary stuff, and go for the whole wheat pasta if you have to have pasta. Otherwise, try to stay away from the pasta.

If you really like spagetti, try what I use - zucchini. I cut the zucchini into large chunks, steam them, and then serve them with spagetti sauce on top. Really good.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by quilter 1234
Any good help for a new diabetic cook.... my husband was just diagnosed with border line diabetis. I am a pasta, potato , meat, cooker... need help fast... quilter 1234
Wow; my husband was diagnosed last week with type 2 diabetes. It is a real chore to figure out new menus AND to get him to eat it. Love this site; helps a lot.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:32 PM

www.recipelion.com has some very good diabetic recipes. I use this quite often even though I am not diabetic.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:51 PM

The main things a diabetic has to watch out for are fat, salt and sugar. If you watch these and the portions, you should not have too many problems. Don't go out and eat a whole lot of fruit and muesli in order to be "Healthy" because they are full of sugar.
There are lots of books on low GI foods to eat, so they are good to read and he should stay off the rice and potatoes as there are only a couple of varieties of each that are low GI. It is best to be strict with yourself because it will slow down the side - effects of the disease.
Dr Jennie Brand Miller and Co. has written the best book, in my opinion, on low GI. I have her books and recommend them.
http://books.google.com/books?id=cUz...page&q&f=false
Old 03-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

Mr.Food has a good recipe book for diabetics. he wrote it with Miss America who also is a diabetic. I have made several of his recipes and liked them all.
Another hint-when making spaghetti I use 1/2 spaghetti and 1/2 zuchinni cut in long narrow strips. Green beads are also good with pasta sauce.
a diabetic must count carbs. I went to the Atkins web site and was able to order,for free, a book called "Atkins Comprehensive CARB counter and Acceptable foods. Its pocket size so you can carry it in your purse.
Another tool I use is www.myfitnesspal.com You put all your info. in and it keeps track of how many carbs,calories etc. you eat daily. its good when you are not sure if you are eating to many or to little carbs. It sure helps me.
There are many low carb recipe sites out there. Here is one of my favorites
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html
Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Forgot to mention 15 grams =1 carb. This can be very confusing when trying to figure carbs.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:57 PM

I have been a type 2 diabetic for 20 years. The advice to talk to a good diabetic educator is good. They will get both of you on the right track. I went to the dr last month for my regular check up and my A1C was 6.0 he was trilled. We changed my meds to two generic ones and I haven't noticed a difference in my readings. You will find that there will be some foods you just have to stay asway from. I can't eat rice even brown rice and my sugar count goes sky hi. There is no borderline diabetic you are one or you are not!!! Make sure he takes a blood reading as directed by the dr or educator. Fresh veggie are better for you than canned or even frozen. Remember diabetes is a precurser to heart disease. The more you watch everything now the easier it will be later. I come from a long line of type 2 diabetics. My grandmother lived to be 96. My mother is now 87 and going strong. I hope to be like them.