Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Pre-Diabetes/Diabetes Recipes >

Pre-Diabetes/Diabetes Recipes

Pre-Diabetes/Diabetes Recipes

Old 12-14-2016, 09:16 AM

Default Pre-Diabetes/Diabetes Recipes

I'm getting ready to start a NEW hobby next year...it's called cooking! Actually, I cook, but I need to start cooking and eating healthy. I understand that exercise is most important...but I need help in good recipes that are not bad for pre-diabetes/diabetes.

Do any of you have a good recipe book or on-line source that you use? I think I'm miserably doing everything wrong and need to get a good start next year.

Any suggested books to read? Any hints or guidance would be great. This is the year to get all those numbers back into the correct range for health!

So......anything that seems to work for you....or something that might be easy to accomplish but makes a big difference (such as drinking hot tea without honey......eating cereal without adding sugar, etc.).

Thanks!
Old 12-15-2016, 05:11 AM

Not for diabectic reasons, but about 10+ years ago, I started doing the 'no refined flour; no refined sugar' eating plan. This was originally touted by Dr. Peter Gott (now deceased) in his newspaper column. Many of the people who wrote in after following this plan said their numbers were significantly improved and some were even able to eliminate their diabetes medications.

The reason I chose this was because I am an extremely picky eater but wanted to lose weight. Being very strict with it, I managed to lose about 65 lbs in just over a year. I have been far less strict the last couple of years so have gained some of that (about 20 lbs) back so come Jan. 1 - that's my only resolution.

You can search Dr. Gott and his 'no flour; no sugar diet'. He did publish a couple of cookbooks along with this particular plan as well. See if it's something you might be interested in trying. Good luck!
Old 12-15-2016, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

There are so many books and diets to follow that it make me crazy. One says eat this or die, one says don't eat this and die. I eat good whole foods and very little sugar. One of my favorite cookbook authors was JoAnna Lund, she changed her health and the health of her family by her cooking. I have all her cookbooks. They have real food and desserts recipes.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:30 AM

I'm in the same situation. My father was Type 2 diabetic and still lived to 97 by just being careful with what he ate. Fats are a bigger problem than sugars apparently. I wish I could remember all the things my mother told me but I do remember that fats and citrus are huge no-nos. Unfortunately honey can be a problem. Most of us eat a lot more refined sugar than we need just because we have acquired a taste for it. Reducing sugar intake to the minimum for flavor or replacing it with sugar substituted when possible can make a big difference. My mother did not quit making homemade bread for Dad, she just reduced the sugar to enough to make the bread rise and Dad limited his intake to 1/2 slice per day. My father had the greatest will power of anyone I have ever known. And that is the real trick. Years ago a dietician told me that no one can stick to a diet that doesn't allow any of the things the person loves. Just learn to live with reduced amounts of it and find substitutes like berries and nuts whenever possible. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2016, 12:56 PM

The eating plan I have been doing is called the Whole30 plan. I found information online about it and printed some info.
Borrowed the books from the library and I lost the 15 pounds I have been trying for a long time to get rid of.
I was NOT strict but do not eat most processed foods, best to process things yourself. I use Truvia occasionally, eat real foods and your taste buds will love you.
With the Whole30 plan I used 3 tablespoons of olive oil almost everyday, 1 per meal, as recommended. My numbers are very much in control following this way of eating.
Now I must find different foods to add back in to stop the weight lose. This has been the easiest method for me to eat healthy and lose the weight.
Good luck with your new adventure to be healthy--good for you.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:57 PM

WOW...you've given me some really good things to check up on. Thanks for all your help! I know it's a combination of exercise and eating correctly. I just need to quit procrastinating and get going! Thanks for the information!
Old 12-15-2016, 09:36 PM

I'm pre-diabetic, both parents were Type 2. My testing supplies are cost covered if I attended a series of 3 classes with self help diabetic instructors. I recommend you look into this in your area. I grumbled about going, but learned a few things from it. Some of my classmates were really in the dark about their health. One man thought a pop tart was an acceptable snack, for gosh sake. He was having low blood sugar episodes in the night.

Simple Carbs are are not your friend. Count them faithfully and cut where you can. A hamburger without the bun or even half a bun is a start. The amount of sugar in foods is staggering so I read labels a lot and choose the one with less sugar, of course. One example is yogurt, some brands are loaded with sugar, so leave them in the store. Eat meals at regular time, you body loves to be on a routine. 2 healthy snacks a day keeps blood sugar stable.

I never drink fruit juice, but have tomato juice at breakfast. Pump up your fiber diet. Watch the processed foods, really none are good for you. Simple home cooked is what's best for anyone, diabetic or not. Pay close attention to feet, so you don't get a sore, then you could be in for trouble. I never cut my toe nails, I file them about 2x a week after a bath. I deal with diet pretty well, now if I could just exercise more.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:21 AM

tranum, I refused to take any diabetic classes as they want one to eat potatoes, breads, etc in moderation. Moderation is not a choice when it comes to the numbers one gets after eating such things.
I see people who are on insulin eating too much pure garbage and think nothing of it because they are following the 'class' recommendations. Then they take their shot, sadly, it is a way of life for them.

I do not do regular exercise per say, am a widow on the family farm and do a lot of things inside/outside myself.
I eat to prevent being diabetic and it is not hard at all.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
tranum, I refused to take any diabetic classes as they want one to eat potatoes, breads, etc in moderation. Moderation is not a choice when it comes to the numbers one gets after eating such things.
I see people who are on insulin eating too much pure garbage and think nothing of it because they are following the 'class' recommendations. Then they take their shot, sadly, it is a way of life for them.

I do not do regular exercise per say, am a widow on the family farm and do a lot of things inside/outside myself.
I eat to prevent being diabetic and it is not hard at all.

Our American diet is loaded with carbs and listening to input of the others in the class, they don't "get it" nor do they understand this needs to be a lifestyle change. Dr says my body makes insulin, just like everyone else, but it doesn't know how to use insulin, thus the problem, so there is no preventative in my case, just live by common sense. So far I'm not on any treatment, but as I age that could change.

A very large man was using a riding cart in the grocery store, his ankles looked like he had a serious case of edima and his cart was overflowing with 8 packs of regular high caffeine soda and deli meat, white bread. No fresh fruit, vegs. I shouldn't judge, he could be shopping for someone else.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:37 AM

Tranum is right, it must be a lifestyle change. DH is Type 2 diabetic and has controlled it with oral medication. He also lost 60 lbs (now he's too skinny) and he cut his meds in half. BiL (shorter than DH) is over 300 lbs, eats like a slob, and shoots insulin. I'm going to start working real hard to make the lifestyle change and not have to take any meds. I'm 5' tall and about 70 lbs overweight so this is about the biggest challenge I've ever had. Did my lab work yesterday so I'll see what Doc says when I have my physical next month. Wish me luck, as I wish for everyone in this situation.