Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Quilt-Along Week # 34 Blocks 67 & 68  Photo Page >

The FWS Quilt-Along Week # 34 Blocks 67 & 68 Photo Page

The FWS Quilt-Along Week # 34 Blocks 67 & 68 Photo Page

Old 06-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

Such a nice mix in your postage stamp block ... blue skies, some sun, and pink posies ... then the earthier ones to tie it all together.

While using MMs, it still takes a lot of skilll to keep them as square and pointy are you are doing ... well done, indeed!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Thanks so much QuiltE. It's fun to get more consistent results.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
Thanks so much QuiltE. It's fun to get more consistent results.

Do you prefer the MMs or PPing?
That's one of the reasons I like PPing ... the consistency ... though I do feel like I am cheating!
Old 06-12-2012, 04:46 AM

I actually prefer the MM templates. PP is new to me and there are times I have no choice but to use it and I fare pretty well. MM templates aren't really sized for 8 inch blocks like we're doing in the PC quilt but when I can use them, you guys always comment on the pointy points. I actually went into them kicking and screaming because I had been introduced to quilting without using templates but I liked the results so well I'm all in. I convert everything I can to her templates. BTW, would you ever guess her age to be 71? She's a dynamo.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

Yes, she sure is, and you know she's an Iowa 4-H girl!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 02:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Yes, she sure is, and you know she's an Iowa 4-H girl!!!

Now that's a piece of trivia I'd never heard before!
There's one LQS near here that's all MM and I swear worships the ground she walks on!
Honestly, I always feel that they have taken their love of all things MM just a little too far.

GGal ... and that's not said with any disrespect to your appreciation for the MM techniques. You've latched onto something that is giving you incredible results. The important thing is that you like it and it's working for you ... and that's all that matters.

I'm just a little annoyed when I walk into the store, and they make you feel like a 2nd class quilter, IF you don't do MM!!! And yes, you can just imagine the disdain when I announced I was doing the FWS. I was at about the same point as you are now ... so I hardly was going to switch to MM for the last few. They were just nicely started with their FWS GTGs. This attitude was there, long before MM+FWS ... it's just them! Sadly though, it kind of takes away from the enjoyment when you go into the store.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:37 PM

QuiltE...sorry for the sour introduction to MM and OkSewGlad, I did know that she was from Iowa.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
QuiltE...sorry for the sour introduction to MM and OkSewGlad, I did know that she was from Iowa.

As I said, I'm sure she's quite good, just that the way this store is handling it, kind of turns you against it! I only know of one other LQS (in my greater local area) that has MM, and they don't make it an issue ... just one of the tricks and sets of tools they have to offer ... all good!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Too bad about the LQS and their offsetting manner; it really makes you want to stay away doesn't it? I have to say my favorite ruler for PPing is a MM ruler. Was in the "big city" one day and stopped at Hancock's. They were having a sale on rulers so I picked up this nice little 3 x 9 " ruler. It was the only thing I bought (shock), but I went out the door spending less that a dollar as it was on clearance. It's just the greatest for trimming those seams to 1/4" and also cutting up the pieces for PP; small enough to be handy and big enough not to loose!
Old 06-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

That would be a handy ruler!! And OMG the price is unbelievable!!!!!!!! YOu should have bought all they had and sold them for a profit!!!!!!!! :

I'd be using it all the time for the same reasons as you .... must keep my eye open as I do like my quilting toys!!! month long July Shop Hop is coming for ten shops, miles and miles apart. Last year I headed off with a list of off-beat things to look for, so this will be added to THE list!