Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
pricing of old wooden quilting frame >

pricing of old wooden quilting frame

pricing of old wooden quilting frame

Old 04-10-2011, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Does anyone know what an old wood quilting frame is worth? I have an opportunity to buy one from a co-worker and I want to give her a fair price for it. It is a standard, plain old frame, about 8 foot square and can be adjusted in size by the wood sliding and being wedged; maybe 80 to 90 years of quilting on it.There are no pictures. I would like to know a general price for anything similar to this. I thank all who can help me. Peace and love, luanne
Old 04-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

No clue!

You might start with checking the prices of new ones for comparison.

Is your friend wanting $$ ?
Or merely wanting to get rid of it ... and would like it to go to someone would appreciate and use it?

If so, the price may merely be the knowledge in knowing you will give it a knew life!

Good Luck!! :)
Old 04-10-2011, 09:09 AM

Or you could trade her a lap quilt for it, should she just want to get rid of it and no or not many $.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:46 AM

To buy the wood for it now would be between 50-100 bucks, depending on the type of wood if you were making one for yourself.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 AM

That is a vintage frame and I would snap it up just because of that fact. Have you seen it? Will it accomodate your quilting needs? Is it still functional? Many questions to think about but imagine you'd be hard pressed to find a gem like that again. If she hasn't asked for a specific price I would offer her at least $40.00 - $50.00 and see where she is with that figure. It it probably worth a whole lot more than that. JMHO

By the way have you seen the prices they're asking for those vintage wooden ironing boards? Unbelievable, and I'm still looking for one.....love those vintage items.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 AM

I just saw one listed on Craigslist in NJ today asking $60 - FWIW.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
That is a vintage frame and I would snap it up just because of that fact. Have you seen it? Will it accomodate your quilting needs? Is it still functional? Many questions to think about but imagine you'd be hard pressed to find a gem like that again. If she hasn't asked for a specific price I would offer her at least $40.00 - $50.00 and see where she is with that figure. It it probably worth a whole lot more than that. JMHO

By the way have you seen the prices they're asking for those vintage wooden ironing boards? Unbelievable, and I'm still looking for one.....love those vintage items.

This was in our house when bought it. Our house was built in 1942, so I don't know how old it is. It lives in the shed because I have no room inside for it (or don't know how to display it).
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182672.jpe  
Old 04-11-2011, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by dpparris
This was in our house when bought it. Our house was built in 1942, so I don't know how old it is. It lives in the shed because I have no room inside for it (or don't know how to display it).

WOW, that is beautiful and in such nice shape. When folded can you pull a nail anchor on your sewing room wall and hang it there. Or when folded up lean it up against something that you wouldn't have to move all the time. You could drape some fabric on it that you love, a quilt, change it seasonally, pin some applique pieces on it...let your imagination go and try and visualize how you can make it charming. If you had a laundry room you could also hang it there. There are so many possibilities for it. The last one I saw that I really liked was $150 so I guess they really wanted to keep it as I wasn't going to pay that price for it.

Another thought if you had enough room to just set it up somewhere in your sewing room you could used it to put various things on. You could find a neat old vintage iron and set it on top of it with a pile of nice fabrics. I could go on and on but I think you get what I'm saying.

Oops, just reread your thread and you say you don't have room for it....well hanging on a wall if possible seems like your best choice.

Congratulations for having such a lovely piece of history.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:06 AM

That would make a neat side board in the kitchen and display old kitchen tools such as churns, butter molds,etc.

I would love to have it.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Power Poster

The old frame isn't worth much except sentimental value. DD found a wood ironing board at a yard sale and brought to me. DD doesn't want it in her house but just knew I would. I can't find a place anywhere in the house where it looks nice. I always thought a standing ironing board was ugly and this thing proves I thought right. LOL. It's on my back porch holding flower pots.