Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is this sewing machine?  "Centennial" model 301 weighs a ton... >

What is this sewing machine? "Centennial" model 301 weighs a ton...

What is this sewing machine? "Centennial" model 301 weighs a ton...

Old 04-10-2011, 10:35 PM

I got this for 15 dollars at a yard sale this past summer and my friend and I are trying to get it running. Can't find info on it to get a manual...Singer refers to this one: "a 301 Centennial Singer" but this isn't it.
Here are pictures....if I can get it running it will be a work horse...it's a very basic machine and seems almost industrially fast!

Centennial
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182552[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-182546.jpe   attachment-182547.jpe   attachment-182548.jpe  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-24-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:14 AM
Power Poster

Husqvarna Viking had a Centennial machine in 1972. This might be what it is.

Font of knowledge of all vintage machines is Billy...Lostn51, he might have the answer for you.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 AM

Either Singer or Husquvana would have their name on the machine. That is not a Singer serial number, either.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:23 AM

Ask Billy on lostn51....he may be able to help!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:18 AM

This very well may be one of those Japanese type clones they made. NOT a singer.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:33 AM
Banned

Its a badged machine that was made in Japan. If you look under the bed and on the side of the bed there should be a JA and a JC number, I need those number to nail down the manufacturer.

But this machine has nothing to do with either Husky or Singer.

Billy
Old 07-26-2013, 11:12 AM

Default I have this

I picked up a machine almost identical to this at the flea market. Fortunately mine is in good working order. Actually I just bought a new bobbin case for mine. I bought a universal bobbin case from ebay and it fit perfect. When I get home I will try to post a photo of my machine. I didn't look at the model number of mine, but it looks just like yours. If you find a place to get the parts, please let me know.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:57 PM

I just bought this very machine tonight. Mine has only one number on it and it is 20251. Under the base, ther is O W 1 etched in the metal. I was hoping to find the manual but I think that's a long shot. When I bought it from a classified ad it said Centennial so I assumed it was Singer. The man said he bought it for his wife 20 years ago and she used it once and put it away. I would love to know more about this machine other than it was made in Taiwan. Like how to thread it properly! If anyone has any info please share! TY!
Old 08-23-2018, 06:12 PM

Default Not a Viking Centennial

Originally Posted by magpiefeather View Post
I got this for 15 dollars at a yard sale this past summer and my friend and I are trying to get it running. Can't find info on it to get a manual...Singer refers to this one: "a 301 Centennial SINGER" but this isn't it.
Here are pictures....if I can get it running it will be a work horse...it's a very basic machine and seems almost industrially fast!

Centennial
[ATTACH=CONFIG]182552[/ATTACH]
Sorry, but this is not a Viking Centennial. I know because I own one. The Centennial Series started in 1972. The body of the machine was ivory and the platform and knobs and everything were brown. Additionally there was a colored strip across the front of the machine that showed what stitch in what color was created by a given cam. The cam was in the back of the machine.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:47 AM

There are a lot of similar solid metal machines made in the post-war years in Japan. They weren't too heavily invested in the idea of copyright and usually chose American sounding names. The good news is that these are generally very well built, little powerhouses that can usually do upholstery/jeans, and are easy to maintain yourself. True not fancy, but a very steady straight stitch. My primary machine is one of these, a Remington (no relation to the guns or other things) that used to belong to a friend of mine's grandma. She asked me what to price it for in garage sale, I said price it at $40 and take any offers or I would be happy to buy it for $20. Shortly after that my pre-computer top of the line Sears (with those pattern cams) broke, despite years of trying to get the not-covered-by-warranty part fixed/replaced I gave up and admitted that "Remy" was my primary machine. Gosh -- that was about 25 years ago now Morse is another brand very similar to my Remy.