Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Questions about machine quilting at home without a ton of space... >

Questions about machine quilting at home without a ton of space...

Questions about machine quilting at home without a ton of space...

Old 07-24-2011, 05:32 AM

Hi all,
So, I've been spending a lot of time on our search engine and thinking about what type of system I may need down the road to successfully machine quilt. I've come up with three systems to consider. Would love to hear your ideas about this and if I've missed some options, please let me know that, as well.

1. Domestic machine with a large/long throat: could free motion and use a walking foot, might end up with a lot of features I wouldn't use

2. sitdown machine such as the Sweet Sixteen: could only free motion, but has a nice space to sew on, and looks like it has nice lighting, priciest option for me - probably

3. Juki setup - could free motion and use a walking foot, could buy a model without a lot of extra features, might be the least expensive route to go, have read that they are reliable

Any thoughts? Any other options to consider?
Thanks,
lots2do
Old 07-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

i have a juki and just love it. i just love the automatic cutter and the needle threader. before i got my hinterberg frame, i used the juki at the kitchen counter height bar. [i had to put the foot pedal on a box :) ]. it worked well for me for piecing and quilting. the drawback is that it only has a straight stitch... which wasn't a problem to me as i have a dsm for other stitches.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:43 AM

I also do not have a lot of space in my home for my quilting. I have a Viking Sapphire 830. It's got a large throat space and has over 100 stitches. I splurged last year during a sale and got the walking foot that has snap on feet and the stitch in the ditch attchment for it...love it! I can piece and quilt on that one machine. I'd love to have the sit down HQ someday...I'm dreaming I think.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I'm going to be following this thread as I've been starting to think more about the "need" for something better to allow me to do quilting with a little more ease and space.

I have no suggestions as to what machine. My suggestion is that in making your decision, you consider the servicing after the fact. Nothing worse than a broken machine and no one to fix it ... or someone who can fix it but will take weeks to make it happen.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I have the HQ16 Sit down and it's great . I already have a Bernina 730 with enough bells and whistles to last me a lifetime, I just needed more quilting space, and 16in is brilliant (it's also about 9in high from table to underside of machine)

I went for the Sit down because I don't have any room anywhere for a table/frame set up, and I can't stand for periods of time either. I am one happy bunny.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:13 AM

Even if you get the hq16 you can still do straight line stitching. I seen a video last week and the lady was using longarm tools on her midarm table sewing machine. Her work could have past for longarm work. I wish I had the link but I dont. Checked my history and its not there either. If your interested you could google it I suppose. Good luck on your purchase!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:19 AM

I have the HQ Sweet Sixteen sit-down setup and I love it. I haven't had it long - still very much in the learning stage but you can do a lot more than free motion quilting.
I'm very limited on space so this was the perfect option for me.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:21 AM

Im ready to invest in a small quilting system that works like a regular long arm.
Gracie seems to be the only company that makes the smaller tables. The little Gracie ll is wood and can be expanded to a queen size if you get the space in the future.
The Start Right is metal but cannot be expanded.
The Gracie Queen is the one Im leaning towards since it can be crib or queen.
These tables are used with the nicely priced straight stitch machines that you can get stitch regulators for but only with the table. Its crazy complicated but I want a system that moves the machine not the fabric.
At least with this system it costs under $2000 dollars.
Machines run around 5 to 8 hundred, tables around 5 and the stitch regulators 5. This I can afford.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:47 AM

the viking mega quilter is just straight stitch; 9 and 18 in throat, thread cutter; needle down. You do have to buy the walking foot separtate though. It is really fast and does a great job. I have a kenmore/janome to all of the fancy stuff with.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

I highly recommend quilting in sections (NOT the same as QAYG). You can do it on almost any DSM, and the results are fabulous. Get Marti Michell's book, Machine Quilting in Sections. It explains several techniques that work in different situations.