Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabrics for baby/toddler  quilts >

Fabrics for baby/toddler quilts

Fabrics for baby/toddler quilts

Old 04-26-2011, 04:44 AM

My daughter and I were going through my stash to make a John Deere quilt for my grandson. She is very new to this and wants to do it herself so I told her go for it. But while going through the fabrics she noticed on the selvage "Do not use for childrens sleepwear". Her question to me was if you cant use it for sleepwear should it be used for their quilts?

The only answer I could give was that I didnt know...I have just assumed that a quilt can be put aside quickly where pjs are on the child and harder to remove in case of fire!! But then she also remembered from her high school safety classes that when carrying a small child from a burning building its good to cover them up to avoid alot of smoke inhalation.

What do you think - I just dont know lol Growing up we sure didnt think about this stuff!!! We had lead base paint on our cribs and high chairs for petes sake :lol: We have survived...Maybe thats why some of us have health issues??? Who knows - comments please

Thanks cheryl :thumbup: :D
Old 04-26-2011, 04:57 AM

The fabric companies use this warning to cover themselves because the fabric has not been treated to be flame retardant like children's sleepers and pjs. This does not mean you can't use it for a quilt or clothing for a child. The warning is for "close fitting" garments like sleepwear. Of course, they don't tell you that the stuff they use to make children's sleepwear flame retardant is nasty and has carcinogens in it actually washes out after a few washes. I never bought my kids jammies because they hated the feel of them and I always used flannel from the fabric store that said not to use it. The companies put the warning so that if in the event that you did use it and your child got burned, they would not be responsible and you could not sue them. My husband always says, "They don't smoke so I wouldn't worry about it."
Old 04-26-2011, 05:01 AM

I too have seen children's flannel fabrics with the same warning, and I am assuming it is the sizing in the fabric that is flammable, so I wash the fabric first.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:20 AM

I agree its there warning. I make blankets out of that stuff all the time!! Very cute. I just made my sister some stuff of the johndeere. Some cute stuff out there!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:24 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Here is a link to this topic on the Consumer Products Safety Committee's website. It's the OFFICIAL answer in regards to sleepwear:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/slpwear.html

There is no legal requirement as to bedding being flame-resistant.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Here is a link to this topic on the Consumer Products Safety Committee's website. It's the OFFICIAL answer in regards to sleepwear:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/slpwear.html

There is no legal requirement as to bedding being flame-resistant.
Thanks for the info!!! :thumbup: cheryl :D