Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quest:  Find Southern Iowa & Wisconsin Quilt Shops >
  • Quest: Find Southern Iowa & Wisconsin Quilt Shops

• Quest: Find Southern Iowa & Wisconsin Quilt Shops

Old 06-11-2011, 01:06 PM

O.K. Quilters.....I am in the planning stages to map out a trip my husband wants to take in the fall to Southern Iowa. We will visit with his Aunt in Winterset and then do a road trip into Wisconsin. He hasn't been home in years, so wants to photograph the covered bridges there in the fall and I of course want to visit the LQS enroute. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for stops with good scenery, photo ops for him and LQS for me. All replies greatfully received.
    Old 06-11-2011, 01:21 PM

Check out Nancy's Notions (of Sewing With Nancy fame) in Beaver Dam WI if you go up that far north in WI. About 45 min. east of Madison. If you email before your trip, you may even get a personal tour through their distribution center when not so busy. The ladies there are some of the sweetest, kindest, most helpful you will meet in a LQS. You may even see Nancy Ziemen herself!
    Go farther northwest toward LaCrosse on I90 and visit Olive Juice Quilts in Onalaska. A local favorite of many, and great employees too!
    Old 06-11-2011, 02:11 PM

Fons and Porter's quilt shop is in Winterset. I like Creekside Quilting and the Quilt Block in the Des Moines area, The Quilters Cupboard in Ankeny, and the Quilting Connection in Ames. Depending on the route you take from Winterset to Wisconsin, you might like a stop in Kalona at Stich-n-Sew.

Then there's Fern Hill in South Amana and Heritage Designs in Main Amana, and in the Marion/Cedar Rapids area you'll find Pine Needles (Cedar Rapids) and Connie's Quilt Shop (Marion).

Hope that gives you some food for thought!
    Old 06-11-2011, 02:48 PM

Where in Wisconsin will you be?
    Old 06-11-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks for all your help.

It's encourageing as there are some really great tips coming. I thought perhaps the quilt shops in Iowa may be scarce as hen's teeth but the pickin's are beginning to look pretty good.

Babycakes: Our trip is open at this point but think our drive will be limited to the southern Wisconsin area.
    Old 06-11-2011, 03:30 PM

Here in Chariton, Iowa (less that 50 miles from Winterset) we have 2 shops, the Ben Franklin on the square and The Sampler just off the southeast corner of the square. Both nice shops and just 8 miles west in Lucas there is another really nice shop. We are very fortunate in southern Iowa as to have lots of quilt shops!! Also check in Creston (Quilts and other Notions, I think she buys every line that comes out!!) and Osceola (Robinson's, an old time department store with a large selection of fabric)
    Old 06-11-2011, 03:32 PM

You can always do a Google search.
    Old 06-11-2011, 05:46 PM

I really like the store in Manchester, IA. NE part of the state off of Hwy 20.

http://www.thequiltmakershoppe.com/
    Old 06-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    Fons and Porter's quilt shop is in Winterset. I like Creekside Quilting and the Quilt Block in the Des Moines area, The Quilters Cupboard in Ankeny, and the Quilting Connection in Ames. Depending on the route you take from Winterset to Wisconsin, you might like a stop in Kalona at Stich-n-Sew.

Then there's Fern Hill in South Amana and Heritage Designs in Main Amana, and in the Marion/Cedar Rapids area you'll find Pine Needles (Cedar Rapids) and Connie's Quilt Shop (Marion).

From a former Iowan, I second these, they are all wonderful shops!
    Old 06-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by EIQuilter

Nice coverage of Iowa shops. Again, depending on your route there is a wonderful shop in Forest City, IA, Mason City, IA and Osage, IA. Hayward, MN has a lovely shop as well. Enjoy the journey.