Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's official . . . . I hate binding!! >

It's official . . . . I hate binding!!

It's official . . . . I hate binding!!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:38 AM

I love quilting, I love all of the fabrics, patterns and notions, I love piecing, and I love giving quilts as gifts . . . . . but I absolutely HATE binding!!!! LOL

Anyone with me?

Susie (aka "Frustrated Binder")
Old 07-16-2011, 10:40 AM

I do too lol I cant figure it out.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 AM

I don't mind making the binding or attaching it to a quilt - was taught an excellent way when I first started out 3 years ago and I never fail to get great corners and a perfect joining of the ends to hide them - but I hate hand sewing the back down!!! I admit I'm picky about using tiny stitches that are invisible, but I don't like hand work. If I could figure out a way to do the whole thing on my machine, I'd be happy!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Practice! Practice! Practice!
and you'll come to like it.

I used to fear it ... and then just kept at it and now I quite enjoy it. It's the crowning glory of your quilt and the sign it is all done.

I tend to set up "camp" on a comfy couch in my sewing room, feet up, tunes on (or TV) and just go at it. Quite peaceful, enjoyable and a relaxing time for me.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

I don't mind doing binding since I've gotten better at it. I used to dread doing the double fold bias ending seam. You only need to cut the angle wrong once and you're ready to scream. On small things like mug rugs, I just do a straight join.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:54 AM

I hate it too, not because it's hard, but because I have pieced and quilted and am ready to move on to the next project and don't want to waste time putting on binding, boring.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 AM

I too hate, hate, hate binding. Actually what I hate is hand sewing the binding to the back. It takes me FOREVER to do the hand sewing part and is so discouraging. I've tried machine sewing both sides but don't like the results. My solution - - I've found someone I can pay to just do the binding. While I think mine looks better - - it only looks better if it is done. Works for me. Hope she doesn't get tired of binding.

For the person who wanted to know how to sew both sides by machine here are some links. She sews it on the BACK side first in a normal way (first video) and then stitches the Front side using a blanket stitch (second video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRfA...eature=related
Old 07-16-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by susieqwva
I love quilting, I love all of the fabrics, patterns and notions, I love piecing, and I love giving quilts as gifts . . . . . but I absolutely HATE binding!!!! LOL

Anyone with me?

Susie (aka "Frustrated Binder")
From one Susie to another, I used to hate it too, but since I discovered the glue basting method I actually enjoy doing it now. I sew mine to the back and roll it to the front and machine stitch since my hands won't allow me to hand sew more than a small amount. Just keep practicing on small projects.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Banned

There is an interesting method in which you use fusiable thread in your bobbin and then when finished top stitching, burn the binding to back and fuse the edge down and then do the rest by machine. I have not tried it but a very popular teacher does it this way - not glue but fusiable thread. I believe she then stitches in the ditch from the front. The fusiable thread allows you to be sure the edge of the binding on the back has completely covered the stitching and can then catch the edge when sewing from the front.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head!!!! I'm ready to MOVE ON!