Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's official . . . . I hate binding!! >

It's official . . . . I hate binding!!

It's official . . . . I hate binding!!

Old 07-17-2011, 03:17 AM

Me too. I dislike any type of handwork, I even sew button on with the sewing machine.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:39 AM

i don't mind binding, because i know it is almost finished.not good at it though. use your walking foot and start on the back, then turn it to the front,and the walking foot will help u........
Old 07-17-2011, 03:45 AM

I always sew my binding on the machine. I do everything on the machine.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:48 AM

I used to hate the binding too, until I got the hang of it. Now, I too agree, it's the satisfaction of knowing when the binding is done, the whole piece is done and the piece can be used or given to its intended recipient. While I do it, I'm usually thinking about my next project or "listening" to TV with hubby. Practice does make it easier, and now my handstitching is virtually invisible, which makes my sister very very jealous!! I keep telling her just practice....
Old 07-17-2011, 03:59 AM
Vat

I don't mind doing bindings but I do save them to carry with me to places I just have to sit. Like doctors offices , guild meeting , bee meetings, etc. , etc. That way I am getting something done on my quilt and have NO down time. I carry a large bag with me all the time that contains at least one project and if I am not driving I work on projects in the car. The old saying is: Idle hands are the devils workshop
Old 07-17-2011, 04:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan
I don't mind doing binding since I've gotten better at it. I used to dread doing the double fold bias ending seam. You only need to cut the angle wrong once and you're ready to scream. On small things like mug rugs, I just do a straight join.
Hope the quilt police are not watching! I straight join all my sections of binding! Hee hee
Old 07-17-2011, 04:09 AM

I actually enjoy hand sewing the binding to the back of the quilt, but I don't always have time. I've slowly been practicing sewing it on completely by machine, and I just finished a quilt (for charity) that actually looks pretty good -- all four corners are mitered, and no gaps along the sides where I didn't catch the edge of the binding. I have found it easier to sew it onto the back first, then sew it to the front when doing it by machine. I can put the edge down right on top of the stitching and sew on the edge. Works for me, and I don't use glue or pins. But, it took me about 20 quilts to get to this point.

Don't give up...you will find a way that works for you!!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by PWinston
I too hate, hate, hate binding. Actually what I hate is hand sewing the binding to the back. It takes me FOREVER to do the hand sewing part and is so discouraging. I've tried machine sewing both sides but don't like the results. My solution - - I've found someone I can pay to just do the binding. While I think mine looks better - - it only looks better if it is done. Works for me. Hope she doesn't get tired of binding.

For the person who wanted to know how to sew both sides by machine here are some links. She sews it on the BACK side first in a normal way (first video) and then stitches the Front side using a blanket stitch (second video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5vzkuGw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MRfA...eature=related
I use this method to put my bindings on but I use what I call my "wobble" stitch on my machine. It's almost like a zig zag stitch but in a curvy line. Looks like I "planned" it in my FMQ.

I started doing it this way just when making baby or kids quilts but it was so much faster I started doing it on all my quilts. Now if I EVVEERR get good enough to put one of my quilts in a show, I would have to put the binding on the correct way. :lol:
Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 AM

I hear you! I had help at my LQS and a tutorial off this board. I sit down with all my notes and go step by step each time I finish something. I also have made a bunch of mug rugs to practice, practice, practice. I am working on a baby quilt right now and I am excited to get to the binding part, as the machine quilting part is giving me fits right now! I think it is all a learning curve and I can't wait to feel like I know what I am doing! Keep after it, it will get better~I keep thinking and hoping! This quilting board is the best guide and support ever!
Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 AM

I don't mind doing hand applique, but binding drives me crazy. Especially on a large quilt. It seems to grow while working on it.
I have done the fusible thread thing, and I have moved on to using Elmers School glue. Water it down just a bit. Then iron it dry, it stays put. I then do the rest by machine. Sometimes in the ditch and then on kids quilts, I use a decorative stitch. I only do them by hand if I plan to put the quilt into a show.