Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best size for a chemo-comfort quilt? >

What is the best size for a chemo-comfort quilt?

What is the best size for a chemo-comfort quilt?

Old 07-17-2011, 06:00 AM

Our group also makes comfort pillows to tuck under the elbow or knees. The local hospice center asked them to be 12"x12".
Old 07-17-2011, 06:10 AM

I went thru chemo in 2009. I sweat buckets, but froze at the same time. I made myself a fleece blanket with arms & satin binding. I made it long enough I could tuck it under my feet & cover up my head at the same time. I chose micro-pill fleece so it wouldn't get all those tiny balls on it. I liked the fleece as it was warm, very soft on the skin, not heavy & washed easy. I still use it.

I found this pattern to make the one with arms:

http://www.sissonfamily.com/Sewingro...thesnuglet.pdf
Old 07-17-2011, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by amma
A foot pocket would be nice, to keep her feet warm
Long and wide enough to tuck it under her chin and around her sides :D:D:D
A big yes to the foot pocket.......sometimes it's too much to even move enough to cover those ever-cold feet.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:29 AM

Just off chemo, too. Got treatment in a recliner each week. Used a lap sized quilt with a flannel back AND batting that I had made and a couple times still got cold. I agree with making it a little longer to tuck under feet and still go up to chin. Flannel backing is nice and cuddly. Never took the quilt to the hospital when I got inter-peritoneal chem (directly into the belly) because I didn't want to risk losing it!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:10 AM

I think that A Quillo would be a great cover for a chemo patient, I have lost my directions. Does anyone have them? Thanks
Old 07-17-2011, 08:44 AM

I am a cancer survivor and you do get cold from Chemo, we are making lots of trips to the Cancer Center in Tulsa,OK for my DH and I always make up fleece throws to take along to give to patients, I agree you want it long enought to cover head to toe. I also make tote bags and now working on hats as the turbins are so ugly. I get the most pleasure from it as I don't put my name on anything I just see someone who really looks like they need cheering up and usually in a wheel chair wraped in a blanket sheet and hand one to them. One man got tears in his eyes to think a stranger would just hand it to him. I also make totes and hats from Lorlie's "On The Mend" fabric and her new one. The ladies all love that fabric.

Hat and Tote
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227721[/ATTACH]

Tote
[ATTACH=CONFIG]227723[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-227715.jpe   attachment-227717.jpe  
Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 AM

I agree with Furza Flying. Sometimes it is painful to bend the knees to be able to tuck around the feet. Also, remember that all medical buildings are airconditioned. Maybe, flannel instead of batting. Lots of nice flannel out there. Blessings to you for this gift.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Where my sister had chemo it was always cold. So a nice size quilt that you cover from head to toe would be good. Saw many people with them. Nice you are doing this for her. A tote is nice also cuz she can put a book, cards, etc. in there.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:43 AM

AS a former chemo patient my treatments were 8 hours long!
Sitting in that recliner with no activity makes you cold.

The suggestions so far have been good! I liked my quilt large so I could cover up totally and as you relaxed in the recliner it sometimes got twisted so the extra size came in handy.
I would make it cheerful, with happy colors, scenes, etc.

A bag to carry it in is a great idea! The hospital I went to was huge and there was alot of walking and a tote would come in handy to carry it in along with books, etc.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Been there, done that, have the t-shirt (2 survivor tshirts now :) ) Here are my suggestions:

1. Make it long enough to tuck under chin to under heels.
2. Make is wide enough to tuck around her when she is in a recliner.
3. Use flannel as a backing and no batting. Make sure to wash the flannel in HOT HOT water and dry on HOT before you put it on the back. The quilt will need to be washed many times and put in the dryer as well. You dont want to make a heavy quilt. There were days when every thing hurt even the touch of a sheet. Having the quilt light would be best and easier for her to carry as well.
4. Put her full name on the quilt some where easy to see. If she is in the hospital it may accidently get put in the hospital laundry and this way it would be easier to return to her.
5. Take pictures of the quilt front and back before you give it to her...see #4 above.
6. I agree with the no pockets and make a tote instead that the quilt and a notebook and full size calendar would fit into. Its hard to keep all the appointments straight and what each dr/nurse/tech said.
7. My friend's 11 yo daughter wanted to make me something and my mom helped her make me a pillow. It is 24inches wide and 18in top to bottom. Just out of fleece with 4 layers of fleece in the middle and sewn around the edge(she hand sewed it had to use an ice pick first) I have been using it for two years now. I dont get in a car without it. I place it under the seatbelt and it keeps the seat belt off my chest and shoulder. My surgery site and area where chemo port would be located. It gets washed every week and is getting a bit "pilly" but it is wonderful. HINT. I had to tack the 4 corners and the middle of inside fleece after I washed it the first time because it rolled.
7. Thank you for doing this for her. You are all in my prayers.
Thank God I have not been there, done that, but I agree with all the suggestions above, based on what a good friend told me.