Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best size for a chemo-comfort quilt? >

What is the best size for a chemo-comfort quilt?

What is the best size for a chemo-comfort quilt?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:32 AM

being a SURVIVOR myself, I vote for the shawl type, as long as possible. That way they can take it to the treatments with them and cover up during the treatments.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:39 AM

I really love your suggestions!! You have inspired me to make a few and donate them to the local Cancer treatment center. I too am a survivor!!

Originally Posted by pjemark
Originally Posted by Furza Flyin
Been there, done that, have the t-shirt (2 survivor tshirts now :) ) Here are my suggestions:

1. Make it long enough to tuck under chin to under heels.
2. Make is wide enough to tuck around her when she is in a recliner.
3. Use flannel as a backing and no batting. Make sure to wash the flannel in HOT HOT water and dry on HOT before you put it on the back. The quilt will need to be washed many times and put in the dryer as well. You dont want to make a heavy quilt. There were days when every thing hurt even the touch of a sheet. Having the quilt light would be best and easier for her to carry as well.
4. Put her full name on the quilt some where easy to see. If she is in the hospital it may accidently get put in the hospital laundry and this way it would be easier to return to her.
5. Take pictures of the quilt front and back before you give it to her...see #4 above.
6. I agree with the no pockets and make a tote instead that the quilt and a notebook and full size calendar would fit into. Its hard to keep all the appointments straight and what each dr/nurse/tech said.
7. My friend's 11 yo daughter wanted to make me something and my mom helped her make me a pillow. It is 24inches wide and 18in top to bottom. Just out of fleece with 4 layers of fleece in the middle and sewn around the edge(she hand sewed it had to use an ice pick first) I have been using it for two years now. I dont get in a car without it. I place it under the seatbelt and it keeps the seat belt off my chest and shoulder. My surgery site and area where chemo port would be located. It gets washed every week and is getting a bit "pilly" but it is wonderful. HINT. I had to tack the 4 corners and the middle of inside fleece after I washed it the first time because it rolled.
7. Thank you for doing this for her. You are all in my prayers.
Thank you so much for this advice. You-more than anyone else- would know what would help the most. I have been making baby blankets for a lot of people but i'm going to switch gears. I work full time so I need to pick and choose what i do but i think this is what i want to do from now on.(i'll still do the occasional baby quilt) I am saving this in my favorites- no batting- and the pillow- I never never would have thought of that and yet my mom had a port. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Wow such wonderful ideas from so many wonderful people. This is great info for those that may someday want to help
Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 PM

If you make a quillow, what about adding handles for carrying.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana
I'm going to make a quilt for my DSIL who is about to undergo a long stretch of chemotherapy. I have the fabric and the general design but am wondering whether to make it a traditional lap quilt size (but not too big) or whether to make it longer, more shawl-like.

What do you think would be the best style/dimensions?

Any other hints? E.g., should I attach some kind of pockets for books or whatever?

Thank you so much in advance!
They seem to like wide rectangles the ladies can fold
around themselves.
Google the pattern...
Old 07-27-2011, 04:24 PM

Large Crib Size (40x60) would probably do nicely for a lap quilt or if she wanted to curl up with a good book.
I'd like something light (maybe the peaches, mint greens, etc. from the 1930s repo)
Old 08-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Thank you all again for your suggestions. Here's a link to pictures of the completed project:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-143450-1.htm#3890414
Old 08-08-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by didi
I agree with Furze Flyin, been there, make it light, top and flannel back, no filling..tote for books and notebook..we were given flannel sheets that had been warmed to cover our self in the waiting room, always to cold and while we were given chemo...as for size I would do a large lap quilt...hope this helps...been cancer free for 1 year.
congrats!!! love that you are cancer free!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:05 PM

If someone is 4'11, do you think that 64 x 64" quilt would be too cumbersome to travel with? Would you go smaller?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2011, 08:15 PM

I volunteer in oncology/infusion and can tell you that patients want something long enough to cover their shoulders and still tuck under their feet. Quite a few of our patients carry a tote type bag with pockets for a book, a snack, and a bottle of water. Our unit has plenty of snacks but most patients bring something from home as well.

I can promise you that any patient will love whatever you make!!