Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Felt Very Judged:  Quilt tops vs Finished quilts >

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

I Felt Very Judged: Quilt tops vs Finished quilts

Old 07-16-2011, 03:03 PM

I have always had a creative outlet in my life: piano playing, oil painting, photography, scrapbooking, etc. What got me hooked into quilting was the beautiful fabric prints and what could be created by putting different ones together. What got me to DO quilting was the prospect of "A Quilt in a Day." So, my first few quilts were log cabins. After getting 5 other women in my office to take a sampler class with me, a whole new world opened up. My favorite pattern turned out to be the Mariner's Compass.

Fast forward to today and 3 kids later. In my house, you will mostly find just quilt tops hanging on my walls. I do have finished quilts that my family uses also but my true passion is in the designing and the challenge of the pattern. Maybe if I had a long-arm, I might follow thru with them more, but I find large quilts cumbersome to quilt. Added to that, my limited time was so precious that I didn't want to spend it wrestling!!!

Life took it's tole and quilting took a (way) back-burner till I got on this website. Needing money and not just giving my fabric away, I put what I could part with out at a recent garage sale. This one quilter came up and we started chatting. When I mentioned my quilt tops that were hanging, she looked at me with outright disdain and I knew whe was trying to invision the unfinished edges she asked about.

Maybe it's just because I've been through so much in the past few years, but I was really shocked at her reaction. I don't remember any other time in my quilting career when I've had such a feeling of judgment in that area. Maybe because I've lost all my quilting friends gradually over time. That's why I'm so grateful for this site.

I know many of you may agree with this lady. I do understand the "other side." My belief is to each his own. Thanks for letting me vent and for the help to work this through and be able to let it go.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:07 PM

At least you are able to enjoy your work on the tops. I have seen just tops on display in quilt shops. No quilt police here. Enjoy your family and hobbies. Long arm machines are very EXPENSIVE, but you may be able to find someone in your area that is moderate in price. In the mean time, enjoy.
D
Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM

It's your house and your quilts to do with so you will. stay happy and quilt for you not others.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:10 PM

Well, maybe it wasn't disdain but shock and maybe sympathy that you don't have the time to finish them. Most of us tend to hide our tops or just sort of throw them on the back of the couch.

I very seldom finish a quilt unless it's needed for a specific purpose. And the last one for the house I made a duvet cover-no quilting or sandwiching involved.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Lots of quilters enjoy the piecing more than the quilting. GOOD FOR YOU that you don't shove them in a corner as a UFO and instead display them!!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:14 PM

I have many wall hangings that are just the tops because I hate binding! Dont let some old bitty get you down the front of the quilt is where the beauty, heart and soul lies and dont let anyone tell you different!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:14 PM

I am so very sorry that someone would act that way. I would never have passed that kind of judgement on someone. I think it is wonderful that you are displaying your quilt tops instead of them sitting in a cupboard or box waiting to be remembered and enjoyed. I have a quilt top that is sitting in cabinet, waiting to be quilted. I have an empty wall in my sewing/family room and may hang my quilt top there so I can enjoy it.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:15 PM

I say that if you like the tops undone go for it. if you like them finished that is great too. it is up to you and there is no right or wrong way to do a quilt. the only wrong way I have ever found if the one that ends in me ripping up my fabric and that was only because the kids got into my sewing stuff and standing on the peddle and the top getting messed up.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:18 PM

I am the same as you, I like doing the tops, not the quilting. I finally asked several of the ladies at the local quilt shops if they knew anyone who does quilting, they gave me names of several people in the area. I bet you could find someone that would do your quilting for one of your tops. Normally those who do quilting don't have time to do the piecework on the tops and you could barter her work for yours, make sure you consider the fabric and labor in on the barter. If they don't need them I bet they know someone who would like a quilt.

Don't feel bad about yourself. God made us all different for a reason, we don't all like doing the same thing. Look at all the wonderful work you do, enjoy it and think of how many would like to be creative like you are.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Sounds like you've had a run-in with the ever present "Quilt Kops".
Keep in mind when dealing with them that they have NO jurisdiction in YOUR quilt world!! If need be, tell them to stuff it!
I'm betting that your tops are beautiful, you need to post picures for us! :)