Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Challenge On The Stamp Block Quilt Tops!!! >

Challenge On The Stamp Block Quilt Tops!!!

Challenge On The Stamp Block Quilt Tops!!!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Crafty1
Sew glad you're doing this! Sorry I didnt wait for you, I was too anxious to start then I just kept on going. Time flies when you're having fun :)
Hey don't apoligize! If it wasn't for you and your amazing process, we probably wouldn't have started this challenge.

Yes join in for another one. Who says postage stamp quilts need to have no duplicates.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
Some of us wanted to challenge those who want to but haven't started their postage stamp tops. We are starting ours now. I have my needle threaded and a bunch of the postage stamp blocks laying here. Now to see how many I get can sewn up.

Hopefully everyone will post pics periodically as they get along on their tops.

I can't wait to see what everyone's looks like.

I know I will be doing mine by hand. So it will take me a bit longer. But I'll still post pics.

Please come and join us!!!! And have fun with all those beautiful prints.

Maybe when everyone starts getting low on different prints, we can do something about that.

Not sure if this is where to put this thread or not.
Thanks for starting the thread. Now the pressure is on! LOL
Need to get off computer and start cutting.

While looking around to see where to put the thread, found a challenge virtual section. Maybe we can ask a moderator to add this one to that section.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:47 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142366-5.htm#3912672
here's the summer swap link. it is small due to a first time hostess. There were a few spots left, last I knew.

Saturday, I set up a sort system, graphed my quilt, and sorted 1050 blocks into 14 color categories, excluding black/gray/whites and brown/tans. Don't really fit my plan. May squeeze them in here and there.

Weekend past, I sewed strips of 4: in green, green/blue, blue, purple, and I think one other. Tonight I pressed blue and purple 4-strips. Sewed the blues into 8 strips, the 8s into 4 deeps. sewed the purples into 8s & into 8x8. I have one full block done. 8x8 purple. Yay!

:mrgreen:

A queen would be over 10,000 stamps. I reduced mine to 7,500 or so by calculating 12" border. (4" and 8" )
Old 08-11-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmouse
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-142366-5.htm#3912672
here's the summer swap link. it is small due to a first time hostess. There were a few spots left, last I knew.

Saturday, I set up a sort system, graphed my quilt, and sorted 1050 blocks into 14 color categories, excluding black/gray/whites and brown/tans. Don't really fit my plan. May squeeze them in here and there.

Weekend past, I sewed strips of 4: in green, green/blue, blue, purple, and I think one other. Tonight I pressed blue and purple 4-strips. Sewed the blues into 8 strips, the 8s into 4 deeps. sewed the purples into 8s & into 8x8. I have one full block done. 8x8 purple. Yay!

:mrgreen:

A queen would be over 10,000 stamps. I reduced mine to 7,500 or so by calculating 12" border. (4" and 8" )
I figure soon as the MODS see this, they will move it. I looked for the proper place. And didn't find it. Maybe I should of let someone else start it. giggle
Old 08-11-2011, 06:31 AM

Drum roll please!!!! I set last night and sewed four rows of 25 stamps. And one with 19 stamps. I'll finish that one to 25 tonight.
I figure I'll do mine like 25 to a row. Press them. Then pin 25 rows together to make a block. I can keep up with my amount of stamps I've done easier that way.
Oh, word, is it going to take a lot to make a King size to fit my bed.
I have some blocks I've got to cut down to the right size. And I think I may have some already cut up in a tote. I'll have to go check.

Soon as I get one block sewn up, I post a picture.

Well, how are you all doing on yours???? Any progress yeet.

Wouldn't it be something if everyone was working on this. Good way to use up scraps.

Just a thought, but I was thinking of doing a couple of challenges after this one. One at a time of course.

Patriotic stamps only! And then maybe a Christmas stamp only!

Heck, lets go for it. A Fall Stamp quilt would be beautiful with all the fall colors.

Now I'm dreaming of those quilts.

Gosh, I better get my work done today so I can sew on mine again tonight.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Quilter
How many 1 1/2" blocks does it take? I know it will depend on the size of the quilt, but was thinking that if you cut all the blocks before you start sewing, you could be sure no 2 were alike.
If you sew quarter inch seams, the your stamps will be 1" square.... sew... how ever many inches long you want it times how ever many inches wide you want it will equal how many squares you will need.

Example: 48" wide by 48" wide will equal 2304 - 1.5" squares.

It sounds like a lot if you were cutting each individual square out. I have participated in about 4 of the postage stamp swaps and have divised ways of making muitiple cuts pretty quickly. :-D
Old 08-11-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

It sounds like a lot if you were cutting each individual square out. I have participated in about 4 of the postage stamp swaps and have divised ways of making muitiple cuts pretty quickly. :-D
Ohhhh, do tell please. Would love a way to cut more faster. I joined the Summer Postage stamp. I would love to do 20 sets but am a little worried after last night.
I found a website that gave great ideas on cutting up scraps as soon as you aquire them into strips, squares, bricks, oddities, and strings. And quilts that she made from her scraps. http://www.quiltville.com/
So I started to go through pile of scraps last night. I worked for about 2 hours. I think I ended up cutting 10 1.5" squares. It'll take me forever to cut 50 of them, let alone 1000. :) I really love her idea and think the initial scrap fest will be the hardest and then easy to keep up.
I tried to take a picture of my before to after but camera battery was dead. Will take pictures today before starting on it again.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
Drum roll please!!!! I set last night and sewed four rows of 25 stamps. And one with 19 stamps. I'll finish that one to 25 tonight.
I figure I'll do mine like 25 to a row. Press them. Then pin 25 rows together to make a block. I can keep up with my amount of stamps I've done easier that way.
Soon as I get one block sewn up, I post a picture.
You go girl. Wow you sure did a lot considering you are doing the piecing by hand. You are going to make me work to keep up with you. :)
I'm working on cutting still. Hopefully the kids and estate stuff will give me more time.

Would love to see pictures!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vicky K
Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Ohhhh, do tell please. Would love a way to cut more faster. I joined the Summer Postage stamp. I would love to do 20 sets but am a little worried after last night.
I found a website that gave great ideas on cutting up scraps as soon as you aquire them into strips, squares, bricks, oddities, and strings. And quilts that she made from her scraps. http://www.quiltville.com/
So I started to go through pile of scraps last night. I worked for about 2 hours. I think I ended up cutting 10 1.5" squares. It'll take me forever to cut 50 of them, let alone 1000. :) I really love her idea and think the initial scrap fest will be the hardest and then easy to keep up.
I tried to take a picture of my before to after but camera battery was dead. Will take pictures today before starting on it again.
Vicky, when thinking of my scrap pile I had to laugh... that would be daunting. What I do is cut several 1.5" strips when ever I am cutting fabric... I also cut 1" strips evey time I am cutting fabric. The 1" strips are for my log cabins that I love to make. The others are for whenever I am going to do a postage stamp swap.

I pile several (3-4) 1.5" strips carefully and cut every 1.5" until the strips are completely cut up. In a postage stamp swap, you are making ?number of sets of 50 different fabrics. So, if I keep up with cutting the length of strips each time I am cutting fabric for other projects, I soon have collected a variety of different fabrics and don't have to spend so much cutting all of those different fabrics all out at once.

If you are making this Stamp Block Quilt; not wanting any fabric duplicated and have not participated in a postage stamp swap... then, you might have to cut each one out seperately. There are a lot of variables here so it depends on what is important to you.

Hope this helps you and not confused you. :-D
Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 PM

Well, I cut and sewed about 50 today. I'm gonna do 10x10 blocks and then put all those together. So, I've got a few rows. :D