Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina >

Bernina

Bernina

Old 12-10-2011, 03:52 PM

Question Bernina

Has anyone had experience with the low end Bernina......Bernette (sp) ? I have a friend who is looking for an inexpensive machine with a needle threader...we looked at it and also several of the Brother machines at another store....I have never bought an inexpensive machine, so I can't advise her....My Bernina 1230 is 25 or more years old....it's great, but they are way, way out of her price range today....her limit is $300. Thanks for your help. Hattie
Old 12-10-2011, 03:57 PM

I would suggest looking for a sewing machine store that's having a sale and go for the Jamone Gem or low end Brother (not the WalMart low end Brother) instead of the Bernette.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 PM

I agree, gem is a good solid machine.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Bernettes are not made by Bernina. I got a Bernette 46 free with another purchase. I was going to donate it as an auction item for my kids' school fundraiser. But it's so cheap-looking that I won't. There's a new line of Bernettes, the 12, 15, 20, and 25 which seem nicer. For $300 or less, I'd look at Janomes or Brothers.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:33 PM
Power Poster

I agree with everyone else. For $300 or less, skip the Bernette and check out Janome and Brother. Actually, my first suggestion would be to check out Sears Kenmore machines, as they are Janome but sold for less $$$ -- same machines, different branding.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 PM

I would go for one of the lower priced Janomes. Hancock Fabrics has the Janome 5812 for under $150, or the Janome 8050 for under $250. They both seem to be good machines with a few decorative stitches on them. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:36 PM

I have a Bernette and I am not crazy about it at all. It has been in the shop more times than I think necessary. It is the best of the Bernettes. I have a bernina bought off eBay and it has never been in the shop in 6 years. Buy something else.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:45 PM

The dealer where I shop is having some great deals on Brother and Janome machines right now. I'll bet dealers in your area are too.

I have loved my Brother machines. I've never owned a Janome but judging from the positive comments I see here about them, they are good machines.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:35 PM

Don't buy a Brother, unless it's a higher end machine. I really got burned on what was supposed to be a "good" Brother. It lasted a whole 10 months. The more expensive models are good. If at all possible, wait until the after-Christmas sales. There is a brand new Janome coming out the beginning of the year, which means it's going to push the prices of the other models still lower. Right now, they are artificially high as they try to clear stock prior to the introduction of the newest model. I'm waiting, as I want a Janome. They're good machines, last a long time, and it doesn't hurt to get an older model as long as it's been well cared for, and you'll save a bundle --- as long as you don't care about having "all the bells and whistles". Berninas are a great machine, but more expensive. Shop around. It's going to be a buyer's market come the early part of next year, trust me. They still have Janome 6500's the are trying to get rid of, and they won't let the dealer's sell them because they are too close to the newer 6600 -- few differences. They had been selling on eBay for $1,100, but not long ago, they jacked up the price to pre-Christmas prices of $1,499. Ridiculous! You can get a brand new Janome 6600, with a negotiated discount, for less that $2,000! So why pay almost $1,500 for a discontinued machine with fewer options? Having said that, it is said the 6500 model is destined to become a Classic, so if the prices drop back down where they should be, they should be a great buy. People who were just selling their own new machines outright were getting between $800 and $900 for them, which is what I think the market will bear right now, and perhaps less after the New Year.

So that's my two cents worth. Hope you find what you want! Merry Christmas!
Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Maia B View Post
Bernettes are not made by Bernina.

Huh????????????????????