Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bernina >
  • Bernina

• Bernina

Old 12-11-2011, 06:30 AM

The one thing that I heard was from someone who bought one and then found out that Bernina doesn't support it and you can't get customer support for it. This was about a yr ago so it could of changed but I'd check to make sure before I bought it.
    Old 12-11-2011, 07:07 AM

I think she should save her money until she can buy a "good" machine.
    Cheap machines don't provide good quality sewing =frustration
    Look for a used Bernina 1090, or a 150QE.
    Old 12-11-2011, 12:51 PM

they are made for Bernina...
    Old 12-11-2011, 04:54 PM

I bought an higher-end Bernette for my daughter a few years back. It has always worked well, though we don't use it too often. It is (I think) a Bernette 90. I certainly don't like it as well as my "real" Berninas (I have a 1031 from '92 and a 440QE from '97). The feet are simple snap-ons instead of the solid (though expensive) Bernina feet. The Bernette I have is a nice solid little machine though.

And it is certainly true that Bernettes aren't made by Bernina. They are made by another company (used to be Janome) to Bernina specs. This the reason that the Bernina embroidery-only machines carry the Bernette Deco name.

Pam
    Old 12-11-2011, 05:03 PM

Several friends bought $100-$150 machines to carry to guild meetings, and every one of them is sorry! They chatter, walk all over the table and don't sew through 6-8 layers of fabric (like the top of a pillowcase seam at the hem~). But I don't want to carry my Viking Diamond to meetings! So I got a little Janome for $150 (on sale was $350) and have been happy. By the way, the needle threaders are the first thing to mess up...I have had the Diamond in for other service issues over the past few years, and the threader gets readjusted each time and is messed up so soon I don't bother any more! So don't buy a machine just for the threader, there are little white plastic threaders that attach w/velcro to the side of the machine that work like magic! The Babylock serger came with one and I ordered several more. Linda
    Old 12-12-2011, 07:02 AM

My first machine was a Brother quilting machine that came with a table,walking foot, and 1/4 in foot. It cost $129 at Tuesday Morning. It is my fall back machine when my computerized machine is in for servicing.
    It has never been in the shop and sews well. The only thing it lacks is needle down.
    It is a great beginer machine.
    Old 12-12-2011, 09:00 AM

You might have her look at sewing machine repair places. Or shops that sell sewing machines. They usually have deals on trade ins. Right before Christmas lots of places are running sales. The small shops may want to get rid of inventory that is taking up space before the end of the year.