Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
question about making fleece blanket for football game >

question about making fleece blanket for football game

question about making fleece blanket for football game

Old 12-14-2011, 07:40 PM

Default question about making fleece blanket for football game

I would like instructions for making 2 layer fleece blanket for outdoor activities. (the kind you cut
outside edges into strips to tie together)
Old 12-14-2011, 07:47 PM

The ones I've done, I just chose 2 fleece fabrics that would do well together, made sure they were the same size, then cut strips about 3/8" to 1/2" wide and about 3" - 4" deep all the way around. These strips were then tied together in square knots. If you wish, you can stitch about 1/2" inside the cut area all the way around.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:49 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
The ones I've done, I just chose 2 fleece fabrics that would do well together, made sure they were the same size, then cut strips about 3/8" to 1/2" wide and about 3" - 4" deep all the way around. These strips were then tied together in square knots. If you wish, you can stitch about 1/2" inside the cut area all the way around.
thats what I do..
Old 12-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Just pick two fleece pieces that are the same size. I have made mine anywhere from 2 yards each to 3 yards each (so I can sit on it and wrap myself in it. I usually sew the two long ends right sides together then flip out and tie just the two shorter ends. You can get crazy and buy the new June tailor expensive fleece rotary cutter that creates the fringe for you - it comes in 1" and .5" widths apart OR cut your strips with a scissor OR regular rotary cutter.

My friend has the June tailor ruler that has 1/4" slots in it that you can measure how many inches you want each strip to be (I usually do 8") and then use the slots to cut your strips every 1/2. Then slide the ruler over so that you will have very even and consistent strips.

When I don't have my friends ruler, I line up my longest ruler at the 8" mark from edge and to be honest, I just use my rotary cutter and slice the fabric until it hits the ruler - I just sort of eyeball it. Or (I am full of "or"s tonight) you can take another ruler and form a T with the top one and use that to cut your strips with.

Some people cut a small square out of each corner to make a cleaner edge.

Then just double knot your ties. Hope thats clear enough.

Then just
Old 12-14-2011, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the info. I am going to try one. ......... actually two.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:24 PM

I second the suggestions everyone has made. They do them the same I do. I think you will find that these tied fleecy blankets are alot of fun to make and everyone loves them. One year I did at least a dozen of them as Xmas gifts and they really did not take much time to do. Have fun!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:42 PM
Power Poster

The only thing I do differently is - cut out the corners about a 4 inch square and throw it away- ok.. ok... put it aside and save for another project
Old 12-15-2011, 09:20 AM

Did a search on you tube and you can watch them make them, looks like a lot of fun.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:24 AM

I do not sew mine.

I use 2 yards of fabric on each side and cut the strips about 3/4 inches wide by 4-5 inches deep. The first one I did was only 3 inches deep and a total pain to knot. I use an overhand knot versus a square knot to tie everything together. I do also remove a square at each corner.

They are quite easy, and it was a relaxing activity for sitting in the hockey penalty box hoping not to see too many of our players.

Cheers, K
Old 12-15-2011, 01:56 PM

Il like to cut a square out of the corners too. Really fast quilt. I often make college themed ones for people.