Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't you just hate it when this happens?? >

Don't you just hate it when this happens??

Don't you just hate it when this happens??

Old 12-21-2011, 06:19 AM

Oh .. I do feel your pain... having done the same thing on more than one occasion.... Redo/resew the block that is out of its proper position. It make take some time , but it will be less than the time you will be reminded of this mistake by leaving it .
When I find myself in this position and so.. want to just leave it ! I have to tell myself even if it takes 8 hours thats is less than the lifetime of looking at it and knowing the mistake is there. But I am compulsive that way ...
Your quilt is beautiful!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:22 AM

This is why me and Mr. Ripper are such good friends. Fix it now as you will always see it even under the pillow...lol. It is so pretty!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I would just pick out around that block, leaving everything else sewn together. Just pick out about an inch on all four corners beyond that block and you should be able to turn the block and carefully resew the seams around it. Just be careful to get it in the right way this time before you resew. I've done it wrong again and had to rip again.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 AM

I made a quilt once and the night before I was supposed to take it to the quilters I laid it out and what was the first thing I saw? A block that had a section turned the wrong way. Well, I ended up tossing and turning and finally got up at four in the morning and took just that section out and turned it the right way. Ended up being one of my favorite quilts - instead of the one that upset me every time I looked at it. I agree with most of the others - I'd rip it out and turn it. You won't regret it.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:57 AM

It will continue to aggravate you if you leave it, so bite that bullet and fix it. Just remember that none of us is perfect or we would not be human.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 AM

The first time this happened to me was with flying geese. One of the boarders had the geese flying in opposite direction as the others. It was explained that in the past some quilter's actually made one block with a mistake on purpose. This was refered to as the "humility" block. It is your quilt and you will decide what makes you feel better. I try to lay my quilt blocks out either on the design wall or on a bed then I sew one row at a time then take a good look before sewing each row together. I hope this helps.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:25 AM

It is a beautiful quilt, it would always make you feel bad if you don't change it. I did an irish chain quilt recently and turned 1 block the wrong way. I didn't see it until it had been quilted and I was putting the binding on. The quilter however, did see it and just let it go. If she had shown me I could easily have changed it or she could have fixed it for me. My grand daughter pointed it out to me the other day, it is right in the middle of the quilt. Now that I know where it is everytime I see the quilt I will see the mistake and not be able to enjoy the beauty of the quilt.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:40 AM

I would fix it, too. It would bug me and I'd see it every time I looked at the quilt. It makes me think of when I use to wall-paper and would have a spot that didn't work out perfect on my uneven walls. Oh, I hated that and would see it for a long time, although I don't think others did. Those "mistakes" I had to live with, but you can make this perfect and you'll never regret it!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 AM

Yep, I hate it when that happens. If you leave it, it may haunt you but it probably won't matter to the recipient. I was reminded recently that they don't look for the mistakes, they just like that we made it for them. (Note to self, repeat the advice and then listen to it!)
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 AM

I love the fabric you've used, very pretty.