Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I can't believe what a difference the type of batting can make >

I can't believe what a difference the type of batting can make

I can't believe what a difference the type of batting can make

Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 AM

I have not used warm and natural for machine quilting in a long time, I did not like it though, it was too flat. I did like it for handquilting a million years ago. I like the warmth of the wool better then bamboo. The bamboo pulled though the fabric and it felt really light. If it helps at all I buy the wool by the roll, I no longer even have scarps of anything else.

Originally Posted by coldquilter View Post
That is so cool to hear Grandma58, I have been wanting to try the wool in the worst way and I have it on my agenda for after Christmas. How do you feel it compares in warmth to the warm and natural. I love the 80/20 and do not ever think our beautiful works of art should have those cheap packaged batting in them. World of difference.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Batting does make a difference in my machines also. I generally test a small square and make adjustments to my tension to avoid the problems that you mentioned.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. I will remember it.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:46 PM

I have used polyester batting, Hobbs 80/20, Warm & Natural, and Hobbs Wool. I find polyester batting more difficult to FMQ on my domestic machine - too much poof!

I find that I like different batting for different purposes. If you quilt Warm & Natural very densely (think Diane Gaudynski or Harriet Hargrave style heirloom quilting), then the quilt becomes very stiff.

In general I prefer the Hobbs 80/20 (fusible when I kind find it) or the Hobbs wool. The nice thing about the wool is that it does not keep creases. So if you have quilts that you store and do not use all the time, the creases do not remain once you use it (at least if you are hanging the quilt).

I do find it a little more difficult to pin baste the wool because it has more loft than the 80/20. I have to be very careful that I pin it closer together so that I don't get tucks when FMQ.

A few years ago I did a demostration for my quilt group where I compared different types of batting and various combinations of pre-washed and non-prewashed fabric. All of the batting and fabric squares started out the same size.

I then layered and quilted them and washed/dried all the samples. This provided examples of the shrinkage and puckering encountered when using pre-washed vs non pre-washed fabric and different types of batting.

It is really personal preference as to what you like the best.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:04 PM

Is there any chance you have photos of your demonstration pieces? I would love to see the difference in the battings used in finished projects.
I know many seem to love Warm & Natural, but I don't love the too thin look of it, even if it is nice to work with, and warm. So I am looking and learning before purchasing for my current queen-sized project.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM

I am really interested in the wool batting too. The first quilt I did was with a LQS, and they were recommending Warm and Natural then. I've done 4-5 baby quilts; lots of wall hangings, placemats, and table runners; and 3 lap quilts with the W&N. I'm not unhappy with it, but I wish it had a bit more loft. I used a polyester batt on the last quilt I did, a twin-size casual quilt for my 26 year old son. I like the look of it, but it was a bear to quilt. It kept creeping on me, even with lots of pins and basting with a water soluble thread.

I did buy a number of batting samples and did some simple quilting on them, but I found the 18" square didn't give me enough information! I have two "special" lap quilts/wall hangings that I've been waiting to quilt until I decide on a batting. For one of them I have bought a wool batt and for the other I'm going to look for the 80/20 that so many recommend. Who has a good source for it?

Pam
Old 12-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I've learned from experience that good batting makes a big difference whether it is poly, cotton or other type, it has to be a good quality. There is a reason some batting cost much more the others even at discount prices. There is a type that most new LAs seem to use because it it cheap. It's rough, stiff, and you can see through it. If the price for quilting includes batting I always ask for a sample of the batting being used. My favorite is wool or silk. For quilts that will be used and washed a lot I use Warm and Natural.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:35 PM

As a long arm quilter, I do provide wool at a discount, I prefer customers to bring their own, then they have what they want. I imagine we are all quite different about that as well. I will agree though, if you are taking your quilt to a long arm quilter who provides batting, check it out.
Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
I've learned from experience that good batting makes a big difference whether it is poly, cotton or other type, it has to be a good quality. There is a reason some batting cost much more the others even at discount prices. There is a type that most new LAs seem to use because it it cheap. It's rough, stiff, and you can see through it. If the price for quilting includes batting I always ask for a sample of the batting being used. My favorite is wool or silk. For quilts that will be used and washed a lot I use Warm and Natural.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by lakekids View Post
A few years ago I did a demostration for my quilt group where I compared different types of batting and various combinations of pre-washed and non-prewashed fabric. All of the batting and fabric squares started out the same size.
I then layered and quilted them and washed/dried all the samples. This provided examples of the shrinkage and puckering encountered when using pre-washed vs non pre-washed fabric and different types of batting.
I'd love to see the results of this.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:17 AM

I to like Quilters Dream cotton batting but Hobbs 80/20 is wonderful to I use them both