Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a new (to me) Sewing Machine! >

I have a new (to me) Sewing Machine!

I have a new (to me) Sewing Machine!

Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM

Default I have a new (to me) Sewing Machine!

I am so thrilled! I have been without a sewing machine for almost two months, since my old one just packed up and died. It's been killing me, although I think I've read or re-read every quilting book and magazine I own in that period, washed any fabrics that needed washing, sorted though my stash - twice. We were waiting for the after-Christmas sales, hoping to get the most machine for the least amount of money. Then my Darling Hubby Unit spotted this one on Craig's list. It's a 3-year-old Janome Memory Craft 9700 complete with it's own showroom quality cabinet for $800. Then get down there and the machine looks like it's in showroom condition as well. Well, no wonder! The woman who thought she wanted it, "played" with it for a few hours the first day she got it, and hasn't touched it since! So it hasn't been used in 3 years! It's gorgeous! All the parts are there. A special "completion set" with extra feet and embroidery stuff came with it. There's extra thread, bobbins, stabilizers, all kinds of stuff. We didn't even bother to 'haggle' on the price. We were just so thrilled we grabbed it and ran!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has the same machine. How do you like it? I hadn't intended to get an embroidery machine too, but this was just too good to turn down. If you have one, do you quilt on it, or make quilt blocks?

Oh, yes! After sitting for 3 years, even though it was brand new, right out of the box, does anyone recommend any kind of service on the machine? Surely it doesn't need to be cleaned. Perhaps oiled or something? I really don't know and don't want to do anything wrong with this beautiful baby!

Happy Holidays and many thanks to all of you!

Old 12-22-2011, 01:05 PM

Congratulations on the score!!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:06 PM

I would think cleaning it wouldn't hurt. Since it's just been sitting around, dust could have gotten in the nooks and crannies. Congratulations on your new purchase and enjoy!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM

SEWWWWWW happy for you...!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2011, 01:43 PM

Wow you did really good. There's never anything on our Craigslist! And if there is, it's overpriced.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:50 PM

What a lucky find. So happy for you. I bet you can't wait to get a project going!

Pat
Old 12-22-2011, 04:19 PM

Congratulations on a great bargain. If it has been in a box, I doubt if it is even dusty. I check Kijiji (Canadian version of Craig's List) fairly regularly as you never know. I was able to pick up a Husqvarna #1+ embroidery machine with many extra cards and all the extras (most still in the original sealed boxes) for $200. My friend said she had paid $3600 for the same machine twelve years ago without all of the extras. I'm having fun playing and I'm sure you will too.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:24 PM

congrats on the machine - sounds like a great one.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:35 PM

I am so jealous!!! Have fun with your baby!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:49 PM

Congratulations you will love your new machine. I don't have one like it but everyone that I know that has it loved it. You got an excellent deal on it. Have fun.