Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: need new sewing machine/what kind do you have??

i am currently working with a singer stylist circa 1950.it was a grad present in 1974 from my mom.now i would like to upgrade to something quieter-this one sounds like a freight train-it only needs to go backward,forward and be capable of machine quilting if i ever et to itch to do taht-currently i hand quilt everything-but i can see where somewhere down the line i might want to machine quilt.i really dont want something with multiple bells and whistles

I have a Babylock Quilter's Choice Professional. It does not have "bells and whistles". It only goes forward and backwards, but does 4 settings for the feed dogs. It has a semi-industrial motor which makes it a workhorse and is smooth as glass and solid as can be (it's got some "heft" to it). It is a mechanical machine and you need to be willing to "get to know your machine" for things like adjusting top thread tension, bobbin tension, and pressure foot tension as well as cleaning and oiling. It also lends itself very nicely to Free Motion Quilting. I have had it for 2 years and absolutely love it. The only time I use my "fancy" machine now is when I need to use the zig-zag stitch for joining batting! I highly recommend this machine.

Blog Entries
    Check out the Brother SQ9000. I just got one from Walmart. Comes with quilting tools, i.e. walking foot, quilting/darning foot, 1/4 inch foot, quilting guide and eyelet punch along with the regular feet.

Blog Entries
    I would look at the simpler Janome machines. I'm pretty sure they have some models without all the bells and whistles that aren't too expensive. Or Kenmore-they're supposed to be good too (but I hate Sears but that's just me)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I always wanted a Bernina and finally got one around 10 years ago. I love it!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I would look at the simpler Janome machines. I'm pretty sure they have some models without all the bells and whistles that aren't too expensive. Or Kenmore-they're supposed to be good too (but I hate Sears but that's just me)
    Gale, I've always felt that way about Sears!! I think it's because no matter what you buy from them, you have to get their parts as they are always slightly different from anyone else's. I do have a Kenmore sewing machine though, it was my first and I used to a long time. But talk about noisy!!! :D

I also use a Babylock Quilters Choice Pro and love it for piecing.Also for binding with the walking foot.I have a Designer Diamond for fancy stitches and embroidery -but prefer the Babylock for piecing

I got a Janome DC2010, I am a basic sewer. It machines through layers, it is pretty quiet. I like it. I am a new quilter, so it does me fine!

I have 3 Janomes that have been trouble free. Love them. But go to a dealer you can trust, one that will service your machine and maybe give you a lesson or two. Depends on how much you want to invest and once you start looking you will be surprised at all the options that are out there.

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have the Janome 6600P with some bells & whistles. Best features are the extended work surface, "built-in walking foot" & built-in thread cone holder. This is my 2nd Janome.

I have a Janome 6600 which I absolutely adore. I also own 2 Baby Lock machines and Kemore. As well as several singer machines. I love them all. My advice to you is go to several dealerships and try out each brand. You will find that you will get a feel for what you like or don't. Don't let the salesperson up sale you. Buy what you are comfortable with .

Kenmore machines are made by Janome and you can use Janome parts with them. The prices are good and you will get a quality machine. I have heard very good reviews from owners of Brother machines. They are made by BabyLock. I was fortunate to get a Babylock Escape Its a travel size machine and they only made a small amount of these.

See what you like, not what the salesperson say you need.

I love my Juki 98Q. It is only a straight stitch and I use it on the quilting frame to finish my quilts. It is truly a workhorse and does a great job. I use Brother QC1000 to piece quilts.

I have a Pfaff 2144 with IDT. That is a duel feed feature that i won't be without. I have have Pfaff for the last 16 years and I won't have anything else. I just love Pfaff.

there is a Janome sewist 525 on ebay that i saw yesterday that was going for around 75. I have one and love it. it works great. has all sorts of stitches and you can buy other feet for quilting. I would recomend getting a walking foot however. it will make things easier. (I am trying to find it on ebay but ebay is running slow this morning. just type in janome sewing machines and you should be able to find it.)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I have Jem Gold (at my son's for when I visit and sew with my GD) and a Jem Platinum that I take to classes. They are both wonderful machines. I even quilted a quilt on the Gold.
    My mainstay is a 1030 (non-computerized) Bernina that I've been sewing on since the late 80's and love.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Janome-Sewist-52...item35abc800c5
    found it finally got ebay working for me. hehe

I have a Pfaff machine, and I love it! It has a built-in walking foot too. Lots of features, and has always sewn very well. Do try the Pfaff machines in your search~ :)

I have several different brands in my little collection and, I have to say, it is the Pfaffs that have really won my heart. As mentioned by others, the IDT feature is wonderful and they just seem so much smoother than my other modern machines.

My first Pfaff purchase was a used 2054/56 and it is a great machine. I quilted my first cheater quilt using invisible thread both top and bottom, because I didn't know any better, lol, and this machine didn't blink once!

Banned
    if you want to do machine quilting then look for those that have long space under the arm. Of course, it depends on what you want to spend. To me the most important feature is the space. All the machine will do machine quilting and there are many simply ones that work well. I just bought the new Janome Horizon because of the 11" arm space.
    I have other machines but this was the feature I needed. I have very little interest in the 250 decorative stitches.
    Space is what I want.

I have a Pfaff 2044 & I love it BUT I found when I really got into machine quilting that the bed space is very small. I bought a Janome 1600 with the 9x6 bedspace & love it for quilting. When I was shopping for the Janome every dealer was showing me a Janome machine (Memory Craft? I can't remember!) with many of the features of my Pfaff and the extra bed space.

I have a Juki TL98E and it is a real workhorse. It has a straight stitch, needle-down feature, knee-lift, thread cutter on the foot petal and on the machine and the feed dogs drop. I use it to piece and machine quilt.

the best advice is to try out the machine and find a dealer you like and the works on the machine themselves

I have a Babylock Espire Quilters Dream Series. It is AWESOME!!!!!!! has 300 plus stitches. long neck for FMS up to a king and can be set into quilting frame and used as a short arm quilting machine. It is ultra quiet and runs like a dream. I got a great deal by asking the dealer for a class room demo model, saved big bucks and still has all the warenty. Also came with all the attachment & feet. can be hooked up to your computer and down load new stitches (this I have never tried)

I also a have a Janome DC3050 a good sewing & peicing machine but can't keep up to the Espire.

Michelle

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mstandridge
    I have a Babylock Espire Quilters Dream Series.
    Me too and I love it. Smooth sailing. It is now my favorite machine over my Pfaffs.

Blog Entries
    i have a kenmore 16 stitch that i just love - i think it cost 179.00. i also have a brother that i got at wal mart - can't remember model and a brother embroidery/sewing machine. for piecing - i love my kenmore.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast