Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: need new sewing machine/what kind do you have??

Blog Entries
    I have a new quilting machine from Brother. ( model NX650) My first machine, was an old brother I bought at an auction, when Montgomery-Wards stopped making their own clothing, at the factory in Portland, OR, in the late 70s. I've had 1 singer, that I won in a drawing, what a racket it made. I have always loved the 'workhorse quality' of the Brother machines, and the customer service is great, and I had to make very few service calls. Why change?

I started quilting three years ago on a Toyota machine I bought from ebay, think it was about third hand. My mum passed away in January and left me a small sum of money, so, last week I went to the Festival of Quilts here in the UK and used the money to buy a Brother BC2500 machine. Had to buy the walking foot and darning foot as extras but got an extension table as part of the deal. The machine was delivered a few days ago and I have been busy trying out all the different stitches etc, am in love with it already.

whatever machine you buy, I would buy one from a shop that sells the machine. they should offer you classes on how to use the machine and they usually have someone there who can work on them if needed. I personally have 2 Babylocks and a Singer featherweight and the Singer big sister featherweight. I bought my first Babylock from my LQS and the 2nd one at the Houston Quilt Show. Yes my LQS offered me classes on both and they do have a repairman.

I have a kenmore 110 stitch sewing machine, i have had people tell me that they sell this exact machine as a Janome in other country's,

Product Description

Computerized sewing machine with 110 stitch functions. This complete machine includes the "must have" quilting, heirloom, and home deco stitches - yet is versatile enough for crafts and tailoring.

* 110 stitch functions
    * 3 styles of computerized auto size buttonholes
    * User-friendly 2 digit LED display
    * 3 one-touch function buttons (needle up/down, auto lock stitch, reverse stitch)
    * Mega-wide stitch (7mm)
    * 7 pc. feed dog system for smooth feeding of materials
    * Computerized DC motor with up to 820 stitches per minute
    * Jam-proof magnetic horizontal bobbin system
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I have a Singer Confidence Quilter that I carry back and forth to my Quilt classes and the Guild. At home I have a Viking Topaz 20 Embroidery machine.

When I was in the market for a new sewing machine, I went and sampled: Viking, Singer, Janome, and Bernina. I love Mom's Bernina, but didn't like the feel of the new ones. The Janome is a great machine value for the money, the Viking had a nice feel and I liked the features.

I have had a Baby Lock, a Sears Kenmore and a Viking in the past. Go around to different dealers and try out the machine (don't just let them demo it). The sales people want you to buy their machine, but you have to enjoy sewing on what you purchase.

Janome has a number of simple but effective machines in all price ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Boscobd
    I have a Babylock Quilter's Choice Professional. It does not have "bells and whistles". It only goes forward and backwards, but does 4 settings for the feed dogs. It has a semi-industrial motor which makes it a workhorse and is smooth as glass and solid as can be (it's got some "heft" to it). It is a mechanical machine and you need to be willing to "get to know your machine" for things like adjusting top thread tension, bobbin tension, and pressure foot tension as well as cleaning and oiling. It also lends itself very nicely to Free Motion Quilting. I have had it for 2 years and absolutely love it. The only time I use my "fancy" machine now is when I need to use the zig-zag stitch for joining batting! I highly recommend this machine.
    I have it too. I dearly love it. Also have a Babylock Elleago, Babylock Laura, serger & 2 Kenmores (old).
    Go try some out & see what feels good.

love my janome 6600. i agree w/ others-do your research, stay in your price range. enjoy!!

Dix
    Blog Entries
    [quote=QuiltswithConvicts]I have the Janome 6600P with some bells & whistles. Best features are the extended work surface, "built-in walking foot" & built-in thread cone holder. This is my 2nd Janome.[/quo.te]

I also have the Janome 6600 and a Janome gem sliver and love them both. I have a Bernina 210 that I like, but lean toward the Janomes. There are many different price ranges, and all are good. Try out what ever you decide on before you purchase!

I am new to the quilting board, but when I saw this question I just had to register so I could reply. I have had a Bernina 1230 since 1991 and I am SOOOO totally happy with it that I just had to tell you. It's one of Bernina's best. I have an older Bernina and a 1630, plus a Bernina serger and I wouldn't go with any other. That's my own opinion, of course. Every once in a while there's a 1230 on ebay, and they will still go for close to $1,000 - which is half the price of the new in 1991. Good luck to you.

I am new to the quilting board, but when I saw this question I just had to register so I could reply. I have had a Bernina 1230 since 1991 and I am SOOOO totally happy with it that I just had to tell you. It's one of Bernina's best. I have an older Bernina and a 1630, plus a Bernina serger and I wouldn't go with any other. That's my own opinion, of course. Every once in a while there's a 1230 on ebay, and they will still go for close to $1,000 - which is half the price of the new in 1991. Good luck to you.

I have a Creative Vision from PFAFF got it three years ago, have taken it back 19 times for repair. Have always had Pfaff machines in the past and loved them. Just got it back from repair on Friday, broke Sat. Pfaff does not stand behind their machines, new owners since older PFAFF machines. I have Janome, and older Pfaff and singer, love all of those, but I wanted a embroidery machine.

Senior Member ORSunshineQuilter's Avatar
    Check out the Janome Horizon 7700 - It is a quilter's dream and is extremely quiet. It does so much! $2500 is not a bad price either! Before you make a decision, be sure to check it out!!!

I have a phaff that I love when working. The service sticks and the company does not help.Been in the shop again for 2 months. Same 2 years ago.

Blog Entries
    I have a Viking 500 that I bought 14 years ago, have never had one bit of trouble with it! I also have a Bernina Artista 730...awesome machine that I probably still haven't used to its full potential!

Power Poster
    I have a pfaff 2134 which is not quite what you are looking for and i have a 1963 singer slant needle in a cabinet that I will be selling soon. I just don't use it.

I have a small Janome which I love. I just bought a used Janome 6600p and a Janome serger. There is no better stitch than theirs. I would recommend one that fits your price range and your needs. Hancocks sells several models which are less expensive than the fabric shops. happy sewing.

Blog Entries
    I have a Pfaff.. it is the most wonderful machine.. I have several others as well, but the pfaff is my #1 choice. It has a wonderful thing called an IDT, which is like a walking foot that isn't in the way.. it feeds the fabric perfectly so your seams are just exactly where you want them to be.. It also raises the presser foot just slightly when you stop, so that you can either pivot if you need to or feed in another block if you're chain piecing.. It has a thread cutter that's fabulous.. no more cutting all those pesky thread tails.. I love this machine.. I don't ever want any other!!

Dee
    I have Brothers They are priced good and I like them very much. They are reliabe, contrary to the downside I've read about them. I have a Viking and Singers, but I'll most of the time use the Brother. I learned on a Kenmore with the cams. It lasted 26 years with 1 repair. It finally died.

I have a Phaff and a Bernina. Can't say I like one better then the other. Both sew great. I was always a die hard Viking machine owner but my last purchase of a Designer didn't hold up well so I traded it.

Nettie

I've had several Janome machines, and while they're good, I've been an owner of Bernina machines for several years now and like them better. Basically, it comes down to how much you want to spend on a machine.

Janome makes the Kenmore you have, I also have one and love it, it is my class machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Judie
    I have a Pfaff.. it is the most wonderful machine.. I have several others as well, but the pfaff is my #1 choice. It has a wonderful thing called an IDT, which is like a walking foot that isn't in the way.. it feeds the fabric perfectly so your seams are just exactly where you want them to be.. It also raises the presser foot just slightly when you stop, so that you can either pivot if you need to or feed in another block if you're chain piecing.. It has a thread cutter that's fabulous.. no more cutting all those pesky thread tails.. I love this machine.. I don't ever want any other!!
    I recently picked up a Pfaff Creative Vision for a phenomenal price and it is my favorite machine - I absolutely love it! I just finished a small wall hanging with lots of applique and the presser foot feature you mentioned made life so much easier. My Pfaffs just seem so much smoother than my other machines.

the machines in my life began in 1964 with a top-of-the-line Kenmore, had it for years till about 2002, sold it in garage sale (great machine only one part on it broke and the man came to the house to fix it (25-year warranty); next was another Kenmore (Janome) first computerized (had it for 14 years) friend bought it when I retired from work and my DH outfitted my sewing room: Innov-is 4000D (upgraded to the 4500), and a brother Novelle 1500, and won the Project Runway Limited in 2009 (great little carry around machine)so my sewing machine affairs have been long-lasting and happy - so I guess my vote would be Kenmore/Janome and Brothers. :)

I also have a 1030 Bernina and love it. I have a Babylock with a blanket stitch for applique but my Bernina is my favorite! I love the walking foot with it for quilting on the machine.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast