Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: need new sewing machine/what kind do you have??

I love my Janome 6600P with the knee lift but I have not used it yet. I will one day, maybe after I finish sorting out my sewing room.

We are a Pfaff house. We haven't used or looked at any other brand. We love the machines and they are very well built. The IDT feature is amazing and such help in piecing quilts. I don't think you can go wrong with a Pfaff.

Darren

Blog Entries
    I can't use my knee lift right now. My table has a lowered shelf for the machine to sit on and the bracket thingy that holds that shelf is right smack dab in front of the hole for the knee lifter. When I get a chance I'm going to make a regular non-liftable wooden shelf for it so that I can use the knee lifter.

Blog Entries
    I am really impressed with the top of the line Kenmore machines. For the money the value is outstanding.

I have had a Brother Disney 2002D, a PFAFF quilter 4.0, a Viking Designer I. I sold them all and bought a Bernina 440 QE. Best decision I ever made! Precise and trouble free!

ok.what's a knee lifter??

It is a bar that extends out and down from the from of your machine which you push against with the outer aspect of your right upper thigh and it lifts your presser foot so you don't have to let go of your fabric and lift it in the back of the foot. Great when you are doing curves or need to pivot. It lifts the presser foot and temporarily lowers the feed dogs. Took me a while to get used to it on my Bernina, but now I love it to pieces. Also love the auto thread cutter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annya
    Some of the newer Janomes have a button for scissors which when you are in the middle of your quilt, just push that button and it cuts the threads top and bottom so you don't have to fight the quilt to cut the bottom thread.
    Wow! What an extremely cool feature!

ok.thanks for all the great advice.i wound up buying a janome dc 4030 today.i really like the auto threader and the start stop feature which allows me to sew without using the fpptpedel.i figure that feature alone is going to shorten the length of time it take me to piece a top.cant wait to get home from work tomorrow so i can play with it.;) marty ps thanks to those of you who have so graciously put me on your prayer lists.

So glad you found a machine that is a good fit! Don't forget we love pics!

Now you have to join the Janome club and learn all the things you sewing machine can do. :thumbup:

jonome club??????

am currently working on a applique quilt for the hubby and i-ready to go on frame this weekend.;)an I spy quilt for our 5 yr old grand-daughter,a throw for my brother in law and a buttlerfly quilt for the 7 yr old grandson who we think is a budding scientist.........the list goes on and on......;)marty

Is the Janome club only here in Australia. my LQS hosts a Janome Club every month to help customers get used to their sewing machine. Why not ask at the shop where you bought yours.

There is probably a Yahoo Janome group. Would be a good place for tips and hints.

ok.i will do that.grammyv aka marty

I have the Bernette 80 which I had gotten only slightly used (one week) from my lqs. I have not regretted buying it and it works like a charm. I recently started fmq and it is not bad for smaller quilts. It is reasonable in price. I ordered a new machine yesterday from HSN - Singer Quantum 500L - it has so many bells and whistles, I am hoping I don't get discouraged.

Blog Entries
    I bought a New Home Limited about 15 years ago. It is quiet and is still going strong. I like it but my first love are the Singers in the 400 series (401, 403 and a 404). They were manufactured in the 60's. They probably aren't as quiet as my New Home Limited.

Edited: whoops...I just saw that you have bought a new machine. Congratulations! :thumbup:

Think about what you are going to be doing with it. If it is quilting you will need a longer arm than what you get at Walmart. If you don't need the fancy stuff the Baby Lock Quilters Pro is the one. I don't have one and wish I did. But if you are going to sew on this new machine and need it to do more Janome and Bernina make some nice machines. Either way I would go to a reputable machine shop and get support and classes with it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5