Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need new sewing machine/what kind do you have?? >

need new sewing machine/what kind do you have??

need new sewing machine/what kind do you have??

Old 08-29-2010, 12:41 PM

I have a new quilting machine from Brother. ( model NX650) My first machine, was an old brother I bought at an auction, when Montgomery-Wards stopped making their own clothing, at the factory in Portland, OR, in the late 70s. I've had 1 singer, that I won in a drawing, what a racket it made. I have always loved the 'workhorse quality' of the Brother machines, and the customer service is great, and I had to make very few service calls. Why change?
Old 08-29-2010, 01:40 PM

I started quilting three years ago on a Toyota machine I bought from ebay, think it was about third hand. My mum passed away in January and left me a small sum of money, so, last week I went to the Festival of Quilts here in the UK and used the money to buy a Brother BC2500 machine. Had to buy the walking foot and darning foot as extras but got an extension table as part of the deal. The machine was delivered a few days ago and I have been busy trying out all the different stitches etc, am in love with it already.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:23 PM

whatever machine you buy, I would buy one from a shop that sells the machine. they should offer you classes on how to use the machine and they usually have someone there who can work on them if needed. I personally have 2 Babylocks and a Singer featherweight and the Singer big sister featherweight. I bought my first Babylock from my LQS and the 2nd one at the Houston Quilt Show. Yes my LQS offered me classes on both and they do have a repairman.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:32 PM

I have a kenmore 110 stitch sewing machine, i have had people tell me that they sell this exact machine as a Janome in other country's,

Product Description

Computerized sewing machine with 110 stitch functions. This complete machine includes the "must have" quilting, heirloom, and home deco stitches - yet is versatile enough for crafts and tailoring.

* 110 stitch functions
* 3 styles of computerized auto size buttonholes
* User-friendly 2 digit LED display
* 3 one-touch function buttons (needle up/down, auto lock stitch, reverse stitch)
* Mega-wide stitch (7mm)
* 7 pc. feed dog system for smooth feeding of materials
* Computerized DC motor with up to 820 stitches per minute
* Jam-proof magnetic horizontal bobbin system
Attached Thumbnails attachment-107035.jpe  
Old 08-29-2010, 02:36 PM

I have a Singer Confidence Quilter that I carry back and forth to my Quilt classes and the Guild. At home I have a Viking Topaz 20 Embroidery machine.

When I was in the market for a new sewing machine, I went and sampled: Viking, Singer, Janome, and Bernina. I love Mom's Bernina, but didn't like the feel of the new ones. The Janome is a great machine value for the money, the Viking had a nice feel and I liked the features.

I have had a Baby Lock, a Sears Kenmore and a Viking in the past. Go around to different dealers and try out the machine (don't just let them demo it). The sales people want you to buy their machine, but you have to enjoy sewing on what you purchase.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:03 PM

Janome has a number of simple but effective machines in all price ranges
Old 08-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Boscobd
I have a Babylock Quilter's Choice Professional. It does not have "bells and whistles". It only goes forward and backwards, but does 4 settings for the feed dogs. It has a semi-industrial motor which makes it a workhorse and is smooth as glass and solid as can be (it's got some "heft" to it). It is a mechanical machine and you need to be willing to "get to know your machine" for things like adjusting top thread tension, bobbin tension, and pressure foot tension as well as cleaning and oiling. It also lends itself very nicely to Free Motion Quilting. I have had it for 2 years and absolutely love it. The only time I use my "fancy" machine now is when I need to use the zig-zag stitch for joining batting! I highly recommend this machine.
I have it too. I dearly love it. Also have a Babylock Elleago, Babylock Laura, serger & 2 Kenmores (old).
Go try some out & see what feels good.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:32 PM

love my janome 6600. i agree w/ others-do your research, stay in your price range. enjoy!!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Dix

[quote=QuiltswithConvicts]I have the Janome 6600P with some bells & whistles. Best features are the extended work surface, "built-in walking foot" & built-in thread cone holder. This is my 2nd Janome.[/quo.te]

I also have the Janome 6600 and a Janome gem sliver and love them both. I have a Bernina 210 that I like, but lean toward the Janomes. There are many different price ranges, and all are good. Try out what ever you decide on before you purchase!
Old 08-29-2010, 04:04 PM

I am new to the quilting board, but when I saw this question I just had to register so I could reply. I have had a Bernina 1230 since 1991 and I am SOOOO totally happy with it that I just had to tell you. It's one of Bernina's best. I have an older Bernina and a 1630, plus a Bernina serger and I wouldn't go with any other. That's my own opinion, of course. Every once in a while there's a 1230 on ebay, and they will still go for close to $1,000 - which is half the price of the new in 1991. Good luck to you.