Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Much Ado about Thread, I am going to try Essentials and Aurifil!!! >

Much Ado about Thread, I am going to try Essentials and Aurifil!!!

Much Ado about Thread, I am going to try Essentials and Aurifil!!!

Old 12-30-2011, 03:28 PM

Default Much Ado about Thread, I am going to try Essentials and Aurifil!!!

I have been using all brands of thread, especially the cotton coated polyester, coats and clarks, any popular brand that I find at thrift stores and auctions. I have always believed to use what you have on hand, recycle, reuse, etc, especially if it works with your sewing machine. I do not use any of the off brand threads, especially when I look close and see lots of loose fibers. But I have learned so much from everyone on this board about fabric, I now look for better grades fabric, and know there is a difference some of the time between my lqs and Joann's. It is time for me to try out better grades of cotton thread and see for myself. Connecting threads has a sale on thread and I ordered some along with some clearance flannels (learned the hard way about some of the differing quality of Joann's flannel). I also ordered a spool of aurifil (orange spool) from another site. As soon as they come in, I am going to try them in my Viking Sapphire. This is the first time in years that I have bought new thread, as I find alot at yard sales and auctions over the years. I am willing to learn with thread now, part of my 2012 resolution. I will let you know if I think there is a difference to me and my 2 year old Viking Sapphire and my 10 year old Janome 10000.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:35 PM

I've tried Aurifil and absolutely LOVE it! Slowly but surely I'm going to replace my colors with Aurifil. Once at a retreat we took the prices of most of the different threads and compared the yardage to the cost. If I remember correctly you would have to spend around $25 to get as much Coats & Clark as you can get for $11 in Aurifil. Per yard it was cheaper than any we compared it to. A spool seems to last forever and because it's made with longer fibers than most thread it is smoother and can be made a little bit thinner. By being thinner you can really get a lot on a bobbin. A full/queen size usually only takes about 1 1/2 - 2 bobbins depending on how much quilting you do.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:46 PM

I use only Aurifil for quilting. I love sewing with that thread and I am sure you will too.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:08 PM

I bought a lot of Connecting Threads Essential line and dumped it. Hated the stuff. Just looking at it, it lacked lustre, was flat. Using it was a nightmare. I had some breakage (and only 1 ply would break - not all of them!), and SO MUCH LINT!! I traded it all here on QB to someone who loved their thread, and yes, there are lots of folks here who love that thread so you might too. Me and my Janome (I didn't try it on my Husky) hated it.

I then tried Aurifil and liked it so much that I quickly returned to the site and bought not only more thread but the color card so I would know what colors to buy in the future.

I will also use: Gutterman, Mettler 60wt in the bobbin (LOVE that stuff!), Superior Threads King Tut, and a few others are OK to use.

The best price I found for Aurifil is at http://www.sewezdesigns.com/Aurifil1.html. Have ordered from them multiple times and happy with their service.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 PM

I have some of the Connecting Threads Essentials...they have great colors but the thread is thick and bumpy and linty. I've switched to Aurifil and the difference is amazing. My quilt guild is having a "garage sale" at our next meeting and I'm getting rid of all the Connecting Threads thread. My Bernina deserves better!
Old 12-30-2011, 05:41 PM

I used to order all my thread from Connecting Threads. Then a friend got me onto Aurafil. You will not believe how much less lint (when you clean your bobbin case)there is from Aurafil. I also use it for applique. Love Aurafil.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I bought a lot of Connecting Threads Essential line and dumped it. Hated the stuff. Just looking at it, it lacked lustre, was flat. Using it was a nightmare. I had some breakage (and only 1 ply would break - not all of them!), and SO MUCH LINT!! I traded it all here on QB to someone who loved their thread, and yes, there are lots of folks here who love that thread so you might too. Me and my Janome (I didn't try it on my Husky) hated it.

I then tried Aurifil and liked it so much that I quickly returned to the site and bought not only more thread but the color card so I would know what colors to buy in the future.

I will also use: Gutterman, Mettler 60wt in the bobbin (LOVE that stuff!), Superior Threads King Tut, and a few others are OK to use.

The best price I found for Aurifil is at http://www.sewezdesigns.com/Aurifil1.html. Have ordered from them multiple times and happy with their service.
I just went to seweszdesigns and they say they are closing. Jan. 2 starts a closeout sale.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureready View Post
I've tried Aurifil and absolutely LOVE it! Slowly but surely I'm going to replace my colors with Aurifil. Once at a retreat we took the prices of most of the different threads and compared the yardage to the cost. If I remember correctly you would have to spend around $25 to get as much Coats & Clark as you can get for $11 in Aurifil. Per yard it was cheaper than any we compared it to. A spool seems to last forever and because it's made with longer fibers than most thread it is smoother and can be made a little bit thinner. By being thinner you can really get a lot on a bobbin. A full/queen size usually only takes about 1 1/2 - 2 bobbins depending on how much quilting you do.
this is true...people forget to look at the YARDAGE on spools...Aurifil is a GREAT buy!
Old 01-01-2012, 11:15 AM

I love aurofil; the Viking rep recommends it for the Mega quilter. I love it for my Janome/Viking Ruby and my mega quilter. I really like it for piecing and for appliqueing. It has low lint and is strong with little problems. It comes in many colors even varigated. I rarely buy anything else unless it's for embroidery.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Hmm, Im there and don't see anything about a close out.

Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
I just went to seweszdesigns and they say they are closing. Jan. 2 starts a closeout sale.