Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pilot FriXion Pens Any Good? >

Pilot FriXion Pens Any Good?

Pilot FriXion Pens Any Good?

Old 03-31-2012, 12:41 PM

Question Pilot FriXion Pens Any Good?

I looked through some of the older posts about these pens and it seems to be a toss up as to rather they are liked or not. These were OLDER posts of about 2 years ago. What is the concensus on these pens now that they have been out a few years?

I've been trying to use the clover white iron out pen on the darker colors of this quilt I am making and I'm going nuts trying to get my lines to show up well enough to see. I've already gone through 2 of these pens and am on my third one. I'm looking for something better.

Thank you,
Debbie Feavel
Hand quiltin Grammy
Old 03-31-2012, 12:57 PM

I have the black frixxion pen and it does iron out with the least bit of heat....but...I've found that it must bleach the fabric in some way because it leaves a solid white line that you can see on solids and dark prints....for light colored prints it works great.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:01 PM

I personally won't be using those pens. Even though the marks "disappear" when you iron them, the ink is still there. Who knows what that ink will do to the fabric even 5 years from now.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
but...I've found that it must bleach the fabric in some way because it leaves a solid white line that you can see on solids and dark prints
Oh my! Then I think I will skip these pens then. That won't work for me. I needed it for dark fabric.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:18 PM

I love the Frixion pens!!! I am using them on my 3rd quilt. I have heeded the words that some say the pen may discolor on some fabrics, so i always test it out. I'm not worried about "leaving" the ink in the fabric because I always wash the quilt prior to giving it to the person. There are also reports that the ink reappears if the quilt is in temps lower than freezing....but that doesn't happen for me either.

I hope those who say they are worried also don't use the disappearing inks, because theoretically, wouldn't those inks still be there?

I am struggling to mark some dark fabric and I'm going to use some ivory soap. The other thing I often do w/ dark fabrics is keep my quilting lines straight where I can use masking tape to mark my quilting.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
I am struggling to mark some dark fabric and I'm going to use some ivory soap. The other thing I often do w/ dark fabrics is keep my quilting lines straight where I can use masking tape to mark my quilting.
I'm putting hearts on my quilts and after reading the soap discussion just recently I'm wondering if it will work to mark my hearts through a template.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

I do use my black Frixion pen for small projects and I pre-test it before drawing on darker fabrics. I will not use it on a big quilt because of the mark reappearing in cold conditions. I may do a test at some time on it to see if it washes out if you put the quilt through the wash and dryer. For marking on dark fabric, I like my white chalk Fons&Porter pump pencil. It does have to be washed out but it makes a nice thin line that I can see on a dark fabric. Always test a marking product on a scrap before using it on a quilt!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:24 PM

Have had some local quilters that have used them say it irons out but comes back. Don't think I'll be using them!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca View Post
I love the Frixion pens!!! I am using them on my 3rd quilt. I have heeded the words that some say the pen may discolor on some fabrics, so i always test it out. I'm not worried about "leaving" the ink in the fabric because I always wash the quilt prior to giving it to the person. There are also reports that the ink reappears if the quilt is in temps lower than freezing....but that doesn't happen for me eithe

I hope those who say they are worried also don't use the disappearing inks, because theoretically, wouldn't those inks still be there?

I love the frixion pens too! I also use slivers of soap for marking dark fabric, but am hoping they come out with a white frixion pen.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:18 PM

I use the Sewline fabric pencils. They're ceramic 'leads' in a mechanical pencil and the lines come out by either erasing with any soft eraser or with water (I use a small artist's brush to just 'paint' water over the lines). The leads come in white, gray, and several colors for use on any color of fabric. I like that the lines are very fine, don't rub off while you're working, yet come out easily when you want them to. http://www.sewline-product.com/Sewline_Fabric_Pencil