Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pilot FriXion pens

Senior Member wildwoodflower12390's Avatar

Pilot FriXion pens

I have been a staunch supporter of the FriXion marking pens, have not had any problems with them. This past weekend visiting a dear friend in Heneryetta, Oklahoma, we were doing the 'Row by Row' shop hop. We went Sew Many Quilts in Checotah, Ok. I purchased some pens. The owner of the shop told us that the marks would come back. she had a quilt sent by plane to Paduka for a show and the quilt was disqualified because the 'markings' were on the quilt. It seems that when the fabric gets cold the markings return. I tried it at home using all three of the colors I had. Ironed them off and placed the fabric in the freezer. The markings came back. Lighter in color but there. So, I guess the moral of the story is: use the markers, but don't put your quilt in the freezer.
    Last edited by wildwoodflower12390; 08-10-2015 at 07:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    They don't reappear if you wash the quilt.

Senior Member wildwoodflower12390's Avatar
    I will pass that on to my friend in Oklahoma so she can tell the shop owner. Thanks

Power Poster
    Many discussions about them on QB. Some love them and use them and some hate them and will never use them. I DO use them for a lot of little sewing projects but I don't mark my quilts with them. They can leave a bleach mark on some dark colours. I have done my own scrap testing with ironing the marks and washing the square, the marks still returned in the freezer.

QM
    thanks for the information.

Blog Entries
    Nothing is perfect. I love marking with a frixion pen but I use it very lightly and dot dash more than a strong continuous line. These marking disappear very quickly when they feel the heat from the iron. I've tested by washing and the drying before putting in freezer / fridge. No return of marks . They did return when I didn't wash.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    The shop owner's probably came back because it was on a plane. Its cold up there at 30,000 feet. People are always saying- my quilt won't be put in a freezer, but if it is shipped/mailed anywhere chances are it will be in the cold, cargo hold of a plane
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I tested them and they did return after washing but they were lighter. I use them, but now where they will show on the front of the quilt. There are other options.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    They don't reappear if you wash the quilt.
    Show quilts, especially those for large juried and judged shows, are usually not washed before entry. I'm so sorry that shop owner found out about Frixion pens the hard way. What a crushing disappointment for her.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

It gets cold enough in Iowa that you can't leave a quilt in a cold car without the marks coming back.

I too have had problems with marks re appearing but was told to steam the marks off rather than ironing them. So I held the steam iron above, not touching to fabric and steamed them off. It was a table runner which I have not washed. I'll put it in the freezer now and get back to you.

I use them and wash the quilt afterward. There have been many experiments where the fabric is washed, starched, not washed, starched, washed not starched, not washed not starched, do all over again using steam, no steam. Results were different when fabric was placed in cold. I don't care enough if the marks come back or not, I figure after several washing they will disappear. Of course no show quilts involved. How excited do we get now when we find an old quilt with pencil marks showing?
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I know they have a lot to do, but it's a shame that someone at that quilt show couldn't have hit the quilt with an iron or some steam to get rid of the marks, rather than disqualifying it. That must have been heartbreaking for the entrant. Surely they have to have some means of straightening out quilts that are wrinkled or have fold lines visible when they unpack them... a steamer or something. A little kindness goes a long way.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Retrieved table runner from freezer and one of the lines came back. This was one which was quite heavily marked, the others had been put on with a lighter touch and did not return. It's not a problem a quick steam and it's gone.

I don't trust them because they haven't been around long enough to know what that weird ink is doing to the cotton for the long-term. Since the lines do sometimes come back after a washing (per my own testing as well as comments here) that tells me it's not washing away completely - maybe because it's basically been heat-set? They're not convenient enough for me to chose them over other marking tools that are tried and true.

I use my Frixion pens at work. It's fun to surprise people by erasing ink. I stick to tailor's chalk (when I will be ironing before washing it out) and blue water-erase pens (when I won't be ironing before washing) for my quilts & projects.

Even Fixion says they are not intended for fabric. Just a quirk quilters discovered. For most people, they are fine and not an issue but SHOW QUILTS are a whole different animal!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Blog Entries
    This is an extra.I have purchased two different types of frixion pen they look similiar but I wonder if there are different makes and types.
    Finished is better than a UFO

two yrs ago at a retreat my sister (a nonquilter) was there working on kids flannel story boards. she drew a pattern for me to show her how to fuse it to fabric using a frixion pen. she uses the frixion pens often because of they can be erased easily. she was shocked when her drawing disappeared after she ironed it. but then she was pleasantly surprised when she could put it in the freezer and get the drawing back to cut out.

I use these pens only to mark fabric on the back - like for HSTs. Have not had a problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
    I don't trust them because they haven't been around long enough to know what that weird ink is doing to the cotton for the long-term. Since the lines do sometimes come back after a washing (per my own testing as well as comments here) that tells me it's not washing away completely.
    This is exactly what my concern is. It's very frustrating to have conversations with other quilters and have them completely miss this point when I tell them the marks come back if the quilt gets cold. There have also been many reports of the ink reacting to something in some of the fabrics (dye, maybe?) and causing permanent staining and damage.

There are so many other products out on the market that are designed specifically for quilting. If used properly and according to directions, they disappear completely. I'm sticking with what's tried and true.

I found that while the pens are great for marking diagonals on binding fabric and triangles, the are definitely NOT great for marking stitching lines for quilting. I was marking a pretty complicated pattern for a whole cloth quilt and was interrupted for a while. Then, discovering that the pattern needed a small change, I pressed the area and found that the pen had stained my fabric and ruined the whole thing (thankfully it was a small quilt and not bed sized)! I am back to using the water soluble blue markers.

If you do like the Frixion pens, then you may want to check out your favorite place to pick up school supplies. Walmart, Target, Office Depot/Max have all had Frixion pens on sale with their school supplies. I was able to pick up the 4ct retractable pens at Target for $2.99. LOTS cheaper than any quilt shop. LOL
    Jane
    Physically in Maryland but heart is in Indianapolis.

Rescued Boxers are adoptable love. Please consider a homeless/rescued pet when adding to your family.

Thanks everyone for posting this info. Good to know these things.
    Penny

Using the pens and having the quilt or fabric get cold has been discussed many times on I think about every blog I subscribe too. Luggage does not travel in the warmer areas of the plane and I will never put fabric in my freezer.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Eventually they will stay gone.

As an aside: Did you all know that there are refills available for the pens? Yep, just found that out myself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast