Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Pilot FriXion pens (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/pilot-frixion-pens-t268626.html)

wildwoodflower12390 08-10-2015 07:25 PM

Pilot FriXion pens

I have been a staunch supporter of the FriXion marking pens, have not had any problems with them. This past weekend visiting a dear friend in Heneryetta, Oklahoma, we were doing the 'Row by Row' shop hop. We went Sew Many Quilts in Checotah, Ok. I purchased some pens. The owner of the shop told us that the marks would come back. she had a quilt sent by plane to Paduka for a show and the quilt was disqualified because the 'markings' were on the quilt. It seems that when the fabric gets cold the markings return. I tried it at home using all three of the colors I had. Ironed them off and placed the fabric in the freezer. The markings came back. Lighter in color but there. So, I guess the moral of the story is: use the markers, but don't put your quilt in the freezer.

quiltsRfun 08-10-2015 07:36 PM

They don't reappear if you wash the quilt.

wildwoodflower12390 08-10-2015 07:40 PM

I will pass that on to my friend in Oklahoma so she can tell the shop owner. Thanks

Tartan 08-10-2015 08:23 PM

Many discussions about them on QB. Some love them and use them and some hate them and will never use them. I DO use them for a lot of little sewing projects but I don't mark my quilts with them. They can leave a bleach mark on some dark colours. I have done my own scrap testing with ironing the marks and washing the square, the marks still returned in the freezer.

QM 08-10-2015 09:21 PM

thanks for the information.

DOTTYMO 08-10-2015 10:52 PM

Nothing is perfect. I love marking with a frixion pen but I use it very lightly and dot dash more than a strong continuous line. These marking disappear very quickly when they feel the heat from the iron. I've tested by washing and the drying before putting in freezer / fridge. No return of marks . They did return when I didn't wash.

ckcowl 08-11-2015 01:29 AM

The shop owner's probably came back because it was on a plane. Its cold up there at 30,000 feet. People are always saying- my quilt won't be put in a freezer, but if it is shipped/mailed anywhere chances are it will be in the cold, cargo hold of a plane

lfletcher 08-11-2015 04:50 AM

I tested them and they did return after washing but they were lighter. I use them, but now where they will show on the front of the quilt. There are other options.

ghostrider 08-11-2015 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun (Post 7283054)
They don't reappear if you wash the quilt.

Show quilts, especially those for large juried and judged shows, are usually not washed before entry. I'm so sorry that shop owner found out about Frixion pens the hard way. What a crushing disappointment for her. :(

luana 08-11-2015 12:46 PM

It gets cold enough in Iowa that you can't leave a quilt in a cold car without the marks coming back.