Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread?  Piecing/Quilting etc. >

Thread? Piecing/Quilting etc.

Thread? Piecing/Quilting etc.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:44 AM

Default Thread? Piecing/Quilting etc.

I'm sure this has been covered numerous times, but here I go asking again. What brand/weight thread do you use for piecing and longarm quilting? I have a cone of unnamed thread in black that got trashed last night. This cone pulls, shreads and blobs. I have other colors of the same thread that act just fine. I want to find a good, strong and as lint free piecing thread as possible. I want to replace the other thread colors I have that do sew fine to get thread I can be more confident will last as long as the quilt fabrics. I bought the Walmart and Joann's serger thread on a recommendation but now think it's not strong enough.

Now for longarm thread - what is a good basic thread? I have several cones of Permacore, again based on a recommendation from a quilter. It is a strong thread but can be linty. I have tried Glide but for some reason it doesn't want to stay wound on the bobbin, gets loose and then the tension gets off.

What I want is a good basic everyday, every project thread. I don't plan to use anything like metallic, glow-in-the-dark or embroidery thread, etc. for quilting.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Linda
Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 AM

I don't know anything about longarm quilting, but I love using Aurifil thread for piecing. It is a little finer, so it doesn't take up as much fabric as others, so it fills bobbins more, and it is the one thread that I have used that is nearly lint-free. I've also heard that Prescenia thread is really good.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:14 AM

I use gutterman or mettler 50wt for piecing, also have connecting threads which I like as well
Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

All use Aurifil 50wt 2 ply, Invisfil, or Superior So Fine for piecing. If it's thin I use it for piecing. I like Isacord, Glide, and Connecting Threads Pro for quilting. Coats and Clark makes the best metallic thread. It does not shred or break. If you look at thread under a microscope you can tell instantly what you are paying for. Some of the name brands may surprise you at the slubs and lint attached.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 AM

King Tut is highly recommended for machine quilting. I also like Sulky Blendables but it is expensive. For piecing--I use Coats & Clark Dual Purpose--cheap, not as linty and strong enough. I use prewound bobbins which are a thinner thread and that helps out a with the seams. I do NOT have good luck with Coats & Clark Machine Quilting thread--especially the variegated cones. I have been able to use the solid colors but I often have to liberally apply Sewer's Aid to the cones. King Tut & Robison Anton Cotton Machine Quilting thread flowed through my quilting machine like butter.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 AM

Some of my fav's are: Aurifil, Mettler, Gutterman and Superior. If I'm using batiks or other thin fabrics and for paper piecing I love Mettler 60wt!!

I know some others like Connecting thread but I dislike it, no ... hate it. WAY too much lint. But that's my machine (Janome 6600) and different machines like different threads.

You WILL find a lot of different opinions here! Thread is particular to the person, the machine, the needle, the tension, the fabric .... I suggest that you buy a spool of a commonly usable color (taupe, med grey) of each brand you are considering before doing what I did and buying 10 spools of something that I ended up hating and traded away here on QB.

I can't help you with Long Arm thread. I quilt on my Janome.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM
Power Poster

I used to use Mettler, but once I tried Aurifil 50wt 2-ply I was hooked! Love that thread for piecing and domestic machine quilting. I don't know about longarming thread.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:07 PM

I use Aurifil 50wt for LAing, also the thread from Connecting Threads and just ordered a bunch of thread from Superior Thread Co. I use Sew Fine 50 wt. and Bottom Line 60wt for my bobbins. That said, I LOVE King Tut and will use it if I have the color(s) I need.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by BKrenning View Post
King Tut is highly recommended for machine quilting. I also like Sulky Blendables but it is expensive. For piecing--I use Coats & Clark Dual Purpose--cheap, not as linty and strong enough. I use prewound bobbins which are a thinner thread and that helps out a with the seams. I do NOT have good luck with Coats & Clark Machine Quilting thread--especially the variegated cones. I have been able to use the solid colors but I often have to liberally apply Sewer's Aid to the cones. King Tut & Robison Anton Cotton Machine Quilting thread flowed through my quilting machine like butter.
Glad to hear there is another Coats & Clark Dual Duty user! I use this thread for piecing also. C & C was the choice for my mother and great-aunt and it was what I learned with! I don't long arm but I do do mostly SID or echo quilting and I use whatever brand I find in the color I am looking for!