Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I use a footboard? >

Should I use a footboard?

Should I use a footboard?

Old 01-10-2013, 04:13 AM

Default Should I use a footboard?

My pink bedroom is done, quilt made and on the bed. So I bought a nice cherry headboard. It came with the footboard but no bed rails. So the bed is on a frame and the headboard is just wedged there against the wall. If I want to use the footboard, I would have to have an Amishman make the rails. I think it would all look better with the footboard, but wanted to ask all of you if that would damage the quilt or cause any other problems. This is my first post with pictures. Thanks for any information in advance.[ATTACH=CONFIG]387171[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails clara-quilt-3-282.jpg  
Old 01-10-2013, 04:45 AM

I'm guessing you want all wood, including the bed rails. I suppose it depends upon how much money you want to spend. Amish make excellent wood but they are pricey. It looks fine as is.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:48 AM

The frame should already have pre-drilled holes on the ends. The headboard and footboard should have matching holes. Bolt them together - no need for wood rails.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 AM

If I were putting a footboard on, I would definitely want the side rails for stability. But whether you should add the footboard or not is really up to you. My deciding factor would be the size of the room (if it's on the small side, I'd leave the footboard off so the room doesn't feel too closed in, even visually), if large enough, then I'd be tempted to go for it. As for your lovely quilt, having a footboard shouldn't harm the quilt at all. I have a footboard on my bed and it's never been a problem with any of my quilts or comforters.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 AM

If it has the regular siderail style..where the rails "hook" into the slots on the posts on the head/foot boards, I'd go to any mattress place and just get the metal siderails. If you are going to put a bedskirt on it, that will cover the siderails anyway. It would be a whole lot more economical than having rails made.. a set is under $50. They may also have the bolt on style, but I don't know if I've ever seen a footboard that bolted on. The siderails should have come with the head and foot boards if they were sold together as an entire bedframe.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 AM

Your quilt fits your bed beautifully. I think you are asking if adding a footboard and to having to tuck the end of your quilt between the mattress and the footboard would be damaging? Shouldn't be, if you don't tug on it. However, I'd just leave the bed as it is. The quilt shows better without the footboard. (If you made a little bench and put a cushion on it matching your quilt, you could put the footboard behind it, as a backrest.)
Old 01-10-2013, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

Your quilt is really pretty on your bed. I think I would leave it just as it is. I actually took my footboard off. Quilt looks so much better without it. Also my room is small and it just looks better without.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM

I'm confused. How would adding a footboard damage the quilt?

Personally, I'd prefer a footboard over no footboard, but as others have said, it depends on the room.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:19 PM

If your quilt has a long drop on the bottom, you would have trouble with the fasteners of the footboard. Bedspreads used to come with split skirt on the end for this reason. If you quilt just covers the mattress, it would be OK.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:48 AM

Personally, I don't like footboards. I'm always banging some part of my leg or ankle on them....Call me clumsy!