Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stretchy Flannel >

Stretchy Flannel

Stretchy Flannel

Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM

Default Stretchy Flannel

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of flannel. But it's stretchy. I can't cut 6 1/2" squares without it getting distorted. Any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:01 PM

Did you wash it and dry it yet? I often work with flannel and don't think I've noticed any stretching. Some flannel seems to be more loosely woven than others, don't know if that would allow stretching or not. Regardless, I always wash, dry and press before cutting, usually use Best Press while pressing. Good luck with yours.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:06 PM

I did wash it and dry it. Is Best Press the same as starch? I have never used starch before?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM

It gives a lighter finish than starch, but used in the same way as a spray starch. Any spray ironing product would give it more body and maybe help with the stretching. Just a thought
Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

When I did a flannel quilt, I heavily starched the fabric before cutting. I used a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water, "painted" this on with a large wall painting brush until the flannel was saturated, tossed in dryer, then ironed with steam (which re-activates the dried starch). The flannel came out nice and stiff, and there was no distortion when cutting and sewing. (You might want to consider 1/2" seams for flannel.)

Starch is an organic product made from corn, potatoes, rice, etc. Best Press (and sizing) are created from chemicals. Sta-Flo is a cornstarch with an ingredient added to keep it from spoiling. Sizing (and Best Press) are lighter than the lightest starch I have ever used. Starch varies in stiffness depending on how it is diluted. The 1:1 above that I mentioned is about as stiff a starch as is possible to use and not have it become glue. (Elmer's washable school glue is actually very strong starch.)

Anyway, I highly recommend heavily starching the flannel before cutting. Starch also helps stabilize through the quilting process so you are unlikely to machine quilt in any tucks. Once the quilt is finished, all of the starch comes out in the first washing.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:30 PM

I like my flannel to feel about like card stock when cutting it.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:32 PM

I won't have any problem with starch in my dryer, will I?
Old 01-25-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by MommaDorian View Post
I won't have any problem with starch in my dryer, will I?
I have never had any issues with starch and my dryer ..I have had the same dryer for 18 years and been starching for as long as I have had it. I do prefer to air dry when I want it as stiff as I can get it.
I suggest you buy the Stay Flo starch concentrate . Walmart carries it. Its inexpensive, and you can mix for the strenght/stiffness you want.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM

I am a firm believer in washing flannels because not all flannels (by different companies) will shrink alike.