Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Baby cloth form fitting diapers thoughts >

Baby cloth form fitting diapers thoughts

Baby cloth form fitting diapers thoughts

Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 PM

Default Baby cloth form fitting diapers thoughts

I went out this week and bought all the stuff I think to make those adorable reusable baby diapers, the kind with PUL. You know the kind with snaps and such. I just wondered if I need to return these items or not. My concerns are will anyone use them for there babies? I thought I could make some for my youngest grandson, but my dh says no one will use them. Any thoughts on this? Are they worth making them?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:05 PM

Do you have a pattern?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:22 PM

Why not ask the parents before you make a decision. I've noticed a trend towards cloth diapers lately. Think of all the dirty diapers you'd keep from the landfill.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:35 PM

So much depends if the mother is going to stay home or not. I had a diaper service for 90 days - the baby sitter would not use cloth diapers for my girls, so I used them only at home. You have to have a lot of them - and a very good diaper pail! My niece had twins - she works full time and no way she would be able to keep up with the diapers. So she used paper diapers. All you can do is ask the new parents what they want to do. It saved a lot of money - but it does take a lot of time.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:37 AM

Nancy's notions has a pattern, don't know if I would have used them or not...such a relief on 3rd kid to go to paper LOL
Old 03-28-2013, 04:48 AM

I think there are a lot of younger parents who are using these diapers. Our daughter/husband used for their first child and will use again for their second. They were concerned about cost and landfill issues with disposables. This new type of diapers is certainly easier to use than the old cloth diapers. Ask the parents!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 AM

I agree I would check with the parents. I started out with cloth, but my son got such a horrible rash, his poor little butt was raw. Switched to disposable and it was as soft as a baby's behind! Too bad for the landfill, but my son's little rump was more important to me!
Old 03-28-2013, 05:35 AM

My daughter is using them and they are sold at substantial prices but do offer an alternative to filling the land fills with plastic. The savings over buying non-reusable diapers is also substantial over the course of "diapering time." I did make some for her, but found that it was not such a fun project and bought more than I made. Few daycares will accept cloth diapers, but the one she uses is fine with them.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

My DD decided she would use cloth diapers and cute covers until the reality of laundry and hamper. LOL.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 AM

Its a great idea....I used cloth on my three. Much better for the environment however...if the child is going to be in day care they generally are not allowed at day care. Its difficult for parents to have two diaper systems going. However those diapers might be great "swimming diapers". Not sure about that though...I'm a grandma and not up on such things.
My daughter is very Earth consious and was very upset that the day care would not use cloth as that was her intentions. THey ended up going with earth friendly diapers found on Amazon. There is a diaper club on Amazon that will give you Prime Shipping free for 12 months if you sign up for auto delivery. According to daughter it was cheaper than the big box stores.