Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
First Bonnie Hunter Workshop >

First Bonnie Hunter Workshop

First Bonnie Hunter Workshop

Old 04-29-2013, 05:26 AM

Default First Bonnie Hunter Workshop

I am so excited that I have been selected to attend a Bonnie Hunter event in August in Winston-Salem, NC. Since this is the first time I have ever attended a quilting workshop like this, I have a few questions. How do you know what to take with you? I know I will need to take my sewing machine, rulers, etc., but how do you know what fabrics to bring? I am driving so I can pile my car high with my stuff, but want to have what I need with me. Also, I am going by myself. I'm a little apprehensive about that, but think from my experience on this Board that it won't be hard to make some friends.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 AM

Which quilt is she teaching? I would gear my fabrics toward the design of the quilt in the colorway I want. She is very helpful, take a look at her site for that particular quilt, for ideas.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM

I would be very surprised if you don't receive a detailed listing of what to pack.

It looks like it will be an awesome workshop.

Definitely decide what colorway you want to work with and choose your fabrics accordingly - and then choose some extras that coordinate but differ in contrast and value in case you want to change something along the way.

Be sure to pack your power cord for your machine.

I would love to attend the workshop but will be out of town with family that week. (Not that I saw it in time to register).

Cheers, K
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM

You will receive a needs list.dont forget foot pedal as wll as power lead. I go to classes on my own and have no problem mixing,. Quilters are friendly people and will always chat.
I always look on a class or workshop etc as a learning a new technique.if I end up with blue fabrics and wish I had taken the purple I don't worry. On the project you are making you will learn new techniques and fudges when you get home you can use the purple and make no mistakes and if you do you know the answer.
I ever look for the project to be perfect because listening and sewing and remembering miss.
What ever happens have fun.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:39 AM

Also take an extension cord - just in case the outlets are not in convenient locations. Otherwise you should be provided with a list of workshop supplies (how many/much fabric, any pre-cutting to be done, etc.).
Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 PM

I am attending a Bonnie Hunter workshop Friday. We got a list from her what we needed for supplies and how much fabric we need for the quilt we are working on. Then I got a separate list from my guild with more stuff. Like extension cords and power strips. I am sure you will get a list when it gets closer.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:52 PM

If you go to her website, choose "calendar" then scroll down to workshops and classes. http://quiltville.com/calendar.shtml

Of course, the usual sewing items (many helpful hints already posted above). If you've any scraps/strips you want to share or trade, there's often a table where folks pile their extras and help themselves from.

And if you've done any of her quilts - whether it's still a flimsy or a completed quilt - and would like to take it, she does a "show and tell" right after lunch. It's great fun to stand up with her and your quilt - be sure to take a camera and have somebody snap a picture.
Attached Thumbnails bonnie-my-carolina-christmas.jpg  

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 04-29-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:54 PM

I watch Bonnie's Quilt Cam regularly and she has been talking about getting the supply list out for this event. It will come in time, I'm sure.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 PM

Oops - tried to get another one but can't put it in original message.

She'll also have her books available for purchase, so a little extra $ is nice. She will autograph them for you, too!
Attached Thumbnails img_0175.jpg  

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 04-29-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:48 PM

Lucky you! Have so much fun! Happy stitching!