Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sun Block for quilts? >

Sun Block for quilts?

Sun Block for quilts?

Old 05-02-2013, 06:57 AM

Cool Sun Block for quilts?

Is there such a thing as a spray to stop wall-hangings from fading? I know we don't get a lot of sun here (in fact last summer we didn't see any ) but I'd like to hang a wall-hanging in an area that's quite bright and I don't want it to fade.

All I've seen so far is a UV spray for tents, but is there one specifically for fabric?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:13 AM

Solar Shield, Ray Bloc, Granger's, and other brands are UV blocks intended for outdoor items (furniture, tents, awnings, etc), but can also be used for clothing so would probably work on a wall hanging. Krylon makes a UV block that is gentle enough for use on paper and I believe 3M does as well.
http://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant_clear/
Old 05-02-2013, 07:58 AM

This gave me a bit of a chuckle - i was thinking of a 'sun' block not sun-block
Old 05-02-2013, 08:06 AM

I do believe that there is one made specifically for fabric/quilts. I have seen it before in shops but can't remember the name.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Solar Shield, Ray Bloc, Granger's, and other brands are UV blocks intended for outdoor items (furniture, tents, awnings, etc), but can also be used for clothing so would probably work on a wall hanging. Krylon makes a UV block that is gentle enough for use on paper and I believe 3M does as well.
http://www.krylon.com/products/uvresistant_clear/
Thanks for this, but no luck tracking any of them down in the UK so far . The problem is that we don't get a great deal of sun, so they're a bit scarce. The only one I've managed to find includes waterproofing so not sure if it's going to be OK. I'll email the company and see what they say.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM

You can find RIT Dye Sun guard on amazon.uk and if it's good for cotton clothing it
should be good for quilted items.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 AM

Granite city is a wonderful place. Every time I have visited Edinburgh, Glasgow it has been beautiful blue skies and long warm days, except when you sit on your seat to watch the Edinburgh tattoo then the wind blows directly from the North Pole or Siberia, go to weddings in Glasgow and whe you are all getting ready to have family photoes it rains.
Today in Staffordshire moorlands has been hot with clear blue skies and small fluffy clouds we needed sun block. Is it sun that fades fabric or light?
Paper at school faded even in corridors where only light got not sun.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 AM

Try googling fabric protector. Just found one at amazon. You need th read to the last words before finding it protects against sun.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
Granite city is a wonderful place. Every time I have visited Edinburgh, Glasgow it has been beautiful blue skies and long warm days.
I'm about 150 miles north of Edinburgh and on the opposite coast to Glasgow (which is also about 150 miles away) and plenty of wind from the North Sea! You must have been lucky, lol
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM

The main color fading I've experienced (bolts or flat fold fabric stacked in front of west facing window that only had lace curtains) was on blues and purples. Either that was all I had there or the others were less susceptible. Anyway I now have my fabric on the other side of the room.