Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Ironing board on casters? >

Ironing board on casters?

Ironing board on casters?

Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 AM

Default Ironing board on casters?

I was talking to my cousin yesterday and she wants a LARGE ironing board on casters. Has anyone heard of one or built one?
Old 06-25-2013, 05:14 AM

I used my cutting board with a mattress pad and then yardage of the silver ironing board cover over it to iron table cloths....much easier than with the tapered end on the regular one and it worked fine.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:20 AM
Power Poster

How big is she talking about? There are home made for quilters like you see on the different instructional videos. You might want to go to YouTube and type in home made ironing boards. Whichever size she wants, it's not hard to attach casters to the bottom of it. If she wants a regular ironing board (the fold down) with casters, I've not seen any, but sure they would be pretty pricey. Tools needed for do it yourself would be size wood, power drill to pre-drill holes for screws and size casters she wants.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

If you're going to put it on casters ... please make sure that you use the locking casters when ironing.
Otherwise, it'd be too easy for all to start moving ... and you could easily get burned.

I put a rectangular piece of plywood on top of an old metal ironing board and have been quite happy.
Being that I never take my ironing board down, I have been starting to think of topping a chest/cabinet etc. to create storage in the space under the ironing board.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:05 AM

I like the chest idea.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 AM

I found about an idea on this board. I mounted my Big Board I bought at the Houston Quilt Show one year on a rolling metal kitchen cart purchased from Walmart. We covered the Big Board with two layers of batting and one of fabric. I found the idea on this board. Works wonderfully!
Old 06-26-2013, 03:56 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I bought a second hand long dresser and put a piece of plywood covered in batting and fabric on top of it and use that as my ironing board. Now I have lots of drawers for storage. It would be easy to attach casters to the bottom of the dresser. Yes, you would want locking casters, I'd think.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:14 AM

A plywood ironing surface build to size requirements can be placed over an Ikea sofa table. I added locking castors to the sofa table. My sewing room has carpet. Rolling is not a problem. Removing the ironing surface make the sofa table easy to move in and out of the room.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by SimpsonFrances View Post
I found about an idea on this board. I mounted my Big Board I bought at the Houston Quilt Show one year on a rolling metal kitchen cart purchased from Walmart. We covered the Big Board with two layers of batting and one of fabric. I found the idea on this board. Works wonderfully!
Thanks for all the ideas...I did see one made similarly to what you are describing on google, but much less if you make it yourself as you described!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:04 AM

I have a BIG IRONING BOARD made of 2' x 5' plywood and LOVE IT! It's not on casters but is placed on top of my regular ironing board which I can move easily with or without the big board on top. LOVE IT!

Nan