Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Frame Casters.. good idea ?? >

Quilt Frame Casters.. good idea ??

Quilt Frame Casters.. good idea ??

Old 04-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Default Quilt Frame Casters.. good idea ??

Hello All..
I'm in the process of having a contractor re-finish our basement and in doing so am going to have an area for my quilting designed. My home isn't that big so my space is somewhat limited. We're at the stage now where we are designing where closets go and just how much space I'll need for large cutting tables, shelving and notions. Part of our dilemma is that my long arm frame is so big that it takes up lot of the real estate in the space. An idea that we've had are to put locking casters on the legs of the frame. That way I can push it against a wall and roll it out when I need to use it.

My concern is that the frame with my 17" machine on it is so heavy that the casters may not work out. Has anyone done this? If so can you give me an idea of how well it worked. Looking for some advise if anyone has experience with doing this..

Thanks!
Kim
Old 04-17-2013, 09:15 AM

Handiquilter has casters for their frames. I know people who are very happy with them.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 AM

I can't speak about quilting frames/casters. However, we have heavy, wooden carts with casters that we have several hundred pounds of material (not fabric - well sorta) and move them around all the time. As long as the casters that are purchased are the proper weight class, I don't think you should have a problem. Sounds like it would be a good solution for you.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:42 AM

I have locking casters/wheels on my homemade table for my HQ. To be honest I hardly need them since I got the computerized ProStitcher.

The main thing to be aware of is the state of your floor. If it is even then this should not be a problem. I know this because my machine quilting group uses a store machine that keeps being moved and it is really hard for me to use free motion quilting. That floor is not level. At least we were told the problem is because of all the moving.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:46 AM

Heavy weight? Use big, robust casters but take into consideration that the height will increase---be sure it's not too high for comfort.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:48 AM

Thanks! I'll look online for those casters! I went to our local Rockelear wood working store and they looked at me like I was a crazy person because the man had no idea what a quilt frame was..
Old 04-17-2013, 05:36 PM

I just bought a used setup and it came with casters. I also will need to tuck it away and find that the casters work very well on the wooden floor. Do get locking casters or that table might keep moving. I did read on a board that you need to hold onto the machine when rolling the table as the machine can roll on down the tracks and gain speed. Good luck with the renovation.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Never had frame but when I taught kindergarten I had some huge room dividing wooden furniture on LOCKING casters and two teachers could easily move it but never had kids knock it askew when the casters were locked. With that experience in my pocket I would be tempted to attempt it. Enjoy your new room.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:54 PM

My Gammill frame came with casters on it, and I love them! My machine is a Premier Plus, and the casters work fine with that weight. I would imagine that Gammill could advise you what you need as well.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:57 AM

I have locking casters on my Gammill frame and couldn't live without them. My room is rather narrow so when I'm working from the front of the machine instead of doing pantos from the back, I can push my frame toward the wall and gain a lot of space. My machine is an 18" so I think you will be able to find casters to work with your setup.