Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Lending out your sewing machine. >

Lending out your sewing machine.

Lending out your sewing machine.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:30 AM

After replacing my first sewing machine, which I had for 34 years, I do not lend out my new one. I took me 6 months to learn all the bells and whisles on it. I would not think a novis sewer would know what to do with it. Besides, I like to sew when I want to sew and if I lent it out, I could not sew at all. (I have let my Granddaughter learn how to sew on it but I am over her like a buzzard.)
Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 AM

Absolutely would not allow my machine out of my house without me. Too much money invested to let someone misuse it. I would allow them to use it in my presence only. You'd be surprised how even very nice people can do little things that make big problems... My cousin who I love like a sister has a lot of trouble with her machine. I was at her house when she was sewing one day and noticed that she was running her machine pretty fast sewing over pins....That ain't gonna happen on mine. I told her that I now know why it goes to the shop fairly often. And guess what!!!!!! She still does it. Because it doesn't mess up every time doesn't mean it won't.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:00 AM

I'm glad I asked this question. I see I'm not the only one that had to live and learn with lending a machine out.

When I was young and didn't know any better, I lent my one and only sewing machine to a neighbor. She brought it back many months later broken and it took me years to replace it because I couldn't afford to have it fixed.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM

No! Momma said "neither a borrower nor a lender be". Have loaned one out, came back broken.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:44 AM
ro
Banned

i had a small group of ladies who would come to my house to quilt. i put out 2 or 3 machines that i had. one machine was a jc penney's machine. in excellent shape. i say excellent, because i have not used it. anyway, this new gal came to sew. went to use the machine and kept pushing and pushing. finally i said to her what are you doin. she was trying to change the stitch pattern, couldnt and was forcing the button. well there was another button you needed to hold at the same time. anyway, she broke the machine. i brought it to a mechanic. he could not repair it. so i am out of a heavy duty machine that i started to use again. moral of the story, even in your own house stuff can happen
Old 07-05-2013, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

Every machine is different - and some people think they know everything and won't even wait for instructions on how to use a particular one - or we forget to clue someone in on our machine's quirks. Or won't ask if they get stuck.

I think, if someone decides to loan a machine, that the fewer features it has, the less chance for it to get messed up.

I think it's very shabby/tacky/sinful for someone to return an item that has a problem that they caused without mentioning it and offering to get it fixed.

Basically, I think one is better off only lending things one isn't very attached to.

Last edited by bearisgray; 07-05-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:29 PM

No, I have loaned things to neighbors and they are never returned. A cube of butter--yes. Anything else--no.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Funny, I just loaned one of mine to a neighbor. That was on a Sunday and told her we were leaving Thursday for 2wks. She didnt return it before we left, but I wasnt't using that one anyway.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:40 PM

I have one friend I would loan my machines too; other than her, it would be a polite, "No".
Old 07-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Power Poster

I do not lend my machines to anyone but would allow use of my machine to a neighbor in my home.