Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

Power Poster

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

Sewing machine?

Rotary cutters, mats, and rulers?

Unless I am reasonably sure the person can use them properly - or will allow me to instruct them - and I can see for myself that they have a clue - I prefer not to lend things to people that they can wreck.

It's one thing if I mess up my stuff -I really do mind if someone else does.

It's also a matter of - I might be more willing to let you use my machines at MY house - not so sure about letting you take them to YOUR house.

How about you?

My DD is the only one I share with. It's great having a quilting daughter. She's my mentor. We raid each others stashes, share books and magazines AND she sews the bindings onto my quilts.

Blog Entries
    They can use them at my house, but can't take them out! Might consider a ruler taking a field trip, but certainly not a machine!!!!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Only my best quilting friends can borrow my quilting stuff. We feel like our sewing rooms are all our sewing rooms. No one else gets to borrow my tools to take out of my home. What chaps me is at a class or workshop, I buy the ruler or tool recommended for the class and someone will ask to borrow it for a minute because they didn't buy one. I can say NO in a second.
    I got over being nice a long time ago to freeloaders.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I would not lend my stuff. I don't have much stuff, I need and use every single piece every day.

From this and your previous post I take it you have a friend who wants to "try out" quilting using your stuff instead of buying it all right away?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    They can come to my house and use them and leave them. Most of my friends have more than I do so not a problem. Went to a class onetime and when I signed up for the class we received a list of items to bring. My mats and everything were bigger. Went to Walmart and got a beginner's quilt kit. It was on sale for about $20.00. Perfect size. It goes in my sewing machine carrier/tote. I loaned nothing out and showed one gal the list I received which she also received. She said she came with nothing and thought she could just borrow. Sorry, not from me. She tried but finally had to buy from the shop. She was not happy! Oh well!

Power Poster
    My friends could borrow my rulers etc. but I am the only one that sews on my machines.

Neither a borrower or a lender be - my motto. If someone has a ruler/gadget I like, I will buy one like it.
    Some days are diamonds, some days are coal - BUT God is with me everyday!

Not for me, thanks. Whenever we've lent something it comes back in worse shape with "what? I don't know what happened to the connector, part, attachment, etc. Sorry." So we stopped doing it.
    Alyce

Nope. I have had some very negative experiences. I do have a quilt group meet at my house and we ahve some community items like a cutting mat. There is one person who donated it to the group. At one time I let some one sew with my $2000 machine and she was frustrated and hitting the machine. No wonder her expensive viking did not work.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by OneDoxieMom View Post
    Neither a borrower or a lender be - my motto. If someone has a ruler/gadget I like, I will buy one like it.
    Exactly or I'll do without.
    Anna Quilts

I won't let anybody sew on my Bernina nor borrow my Bargello quilt books. I only lend things to my best friends who are kind enough to take me to get groceries since I don't drive.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I share with my DDs and DIL only. They know how to take care of things.

After what happen this year with a sewing machine that I borrowed I would no, only at my house. It also depends on the shape the tools are in, say if I had a cutting a mat and someone gave me a new one for Christmas it wouldn't bother be to let someone else use the old one.

I've never lent mine out. No one's ever asked but I think I'd say sorry but NO.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    I try to take very good care of my machine,as I will never buy another one........so no,not my machine.
    Some ppl don't take care of what they borrow,or never return them.Personally,I wouldn't be a happy camper
    ....so it's just best if they stay home.
    Pat

I only lend out items I won't miss. I figure If I say yes and it's not returned it is no biggie. Never, ever would I lend out a sewing machine, unless I was getting rid of it anyway. I've paid too much for my machines and supplies. I would do what many members mentioned, borrow it at my place, not to be taken out to borrow. I prize my quilting machines and supplies, like other women prize their diamonds.

Only my best friend uses my quilting things. Usually she is talking about what she going to do, and if I have a tool that will make it easier, I volunteer it.

I have three best quilting buddies I'd lend books, patterns or even my backup Pfaff machine to, but no one else. One of these friends has mid arm quilting machine, and I'd lend pantographs or stencils if she asked (she never has), but not those outrageously expensive longarm rulers or pattern boards. Those stay home.

Even though I am not quilting/sewing right now, I would never lend any of my quilting tools. I don't feel guilty either. If something wasn't returned or returned broken I cannot afford to replace it.
    I am too POSITIVE to be doubtful, too OPTIMISTIC to be fearful and way to DETERMINED to be defeated.

I don't lend my stuff out to anyone. If they want something, they can buy it...just like I did.

It would have to be a really good friend for me to lend... and one that I have seen how they handle their own tools. I ne lent my sewing machine to relative and it came back with a broken bobbin case. So no more !

I figure it this way. I worked HARD for my things, so I'm sorry but no. I've gone to a class that a lady took my ruler (thought I wasn't looking I guess) when it was time to pack up I asked for it back. She informed me it was hers. I asked her to make sure and she started yelling. I reached in and pulled out my ruler and showed all where my name was branded. She left, and later a couple of other ladies told me any class she took something turned up missing. Unreal!
    Toni

Blog Entries
    I sew with a small group of friends and we do share but I would not be willing to share with others unless I knew how they cared for their "school supplies".
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I learned the "never loan tools" lesson the hard way - way back in 1978.

I've mentioned my 1975 Singer Fashion Mate 252 before. It was my only machine at the time and I sewed the devil out of it.

An acquaintance, a neighbor, with a toddler, wanted to borrow it to make simple kitchen curtains. I said "yes" without giving it a second thought. After a month I had to start asking her when she would be finished. After the second month I began pestering her. She lived three doors down in a small complex of small apartments. She returned it in the third month.

The spool pin was broken. She tried to glue the stub back into the machine, and dribbled glue all across the top. It's still stuck there.

The felt pad was "lost." Her kid probably ate it.

The bobbin was "lost."

The case was dirty and sticky.

Her son had scratched the outside of the case with a metal toy truck - then he "colored" it with a red marker. She thought that was cute.

My FM still wears the battle scars from the one and only time it was loaned out.
    "Not all those who wander are lost." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien

-1974 Singer 252 Fashion Mate; 1954 Singer 15-91;
    1952 Pfaff 130-6; Bernina 230PE, and Pfaff Serger 4874.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast