Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about lending your tools to someone? >

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

Old 05-16-2015, 08:25 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
Thank you all for giving me the courage to say "NO". I don't ask to borrow, if I need something I will purchase it myself; but I have a very hard time saying "no" when someone wants to borrow something I have. Too many times it came back broke or never came back at all. So today I am practicing saying "no, no, no"
No, I do not share my sewing machine, knitting needles or my husband.
Old 05-16-2015, 09:51 AM

If someone has never made a quilt before and wants to learn, they have to come to my house. I let them use all my tools and my machines...except I no longer allow anyone to take my stuff home. Usually people who have never made a quilt may or may not like the actual experience. I hate to see them invest money into a hobby and then never use the tools again. They also see what tools they like better than others so that if they do go on with this hobby, they'll know what they want and be more selective.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:31 PM

I only lend my things to my sisters. Sharing is good, but it never feels good to be "used" at a class or anywhere else. Sewing machines are in a whole other category! No, you can't use (and abuse) the machine that I have spent the time and money to own and maintain..sorry.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:59 PM

I will lend most anything to most anyone. If it is valuable or expensive, it is insured and can be replaced if they damage or destroy it and then fail to replace it. Should someone 'borrow' and fail to return, they will not be the recipient of my generosity again. All my tools and machines are engraved with my name and books,etc have also been permanently marked for easy identification should anyone accidentally pack up something at the end of a class. I will very happily allow use of my things in my home, with supervision, training and clearly understood expectations for the safe and proper handling of the equipment or supplies. I have also gifted several people with machines, rulers and other supplies that I have duplicates of or no longer use. It gives me great pleasure to be generous when I am able.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:05 AM

I have a huge library of knitting and quilting books/magazines/patterns and crafting friends frequently request to borrow. No and no. They are welcome to come sit and peruse all they want but I'm not running a lending library and they don't leave the house. I learned my lesson years ago when I had to replace an expensive and difficult-to-find book relating to my work - twice. No more loans. I don't loan my quilting tools because (unlike my knitting tools) I don't have spares. I can't afford to be without them while someone else uses them, and I can't afford to replace them if they aren't returned.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:13 AM

I have already posted my opinion about this subject on this thread, but I would like to share one of my experiences that has formed my opinion on lending. My good quilting friend called me up one day, having troubles with her Bernina 440, and she was in the middle of a machine applique class. She knew I had an extra machine just like hers that I had inherited from my mom that I kept in a case, ready to go to classes. She wanted to borrow it as it would not change the stitch on her already started project. I did not even hesitate. When she returned it, she told me that she did not like the way the tension was with the decorative thread she was using and messed with the bottom tension to get it right. I was shocked! She didn't even bother to pick up the phone and ask me. I would have told her I had an extra bobbin case in the tool box just for projects like that. I could not get the tension back on my own and had to pay for a service call. When I mentioned the problem to her, she did not even offer to pay. So that is one of the reasons I don't loan or borrow.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:21 AM

I don't. Period. The only time I lend anything is in a class where I can keep track of it. And, I make sure I get it back promptly.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I found that most people that ask to borrow feel entitled to have what you have at your expense. Please remember this and say no with no hesitation or explanation. You don't owe them anything.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:30 AM

You could just say "I'm sorry, but after a bad & expensive lending experience I decided I couldn't afford to do it anymore".

i can't believe people would mistreat others' belongings. Shame!
Old 05-17-2015, 06:50 PM

Only at my Home