Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about lending your tools to someone? >

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

Old 05-15-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Sewing machine?

Rotary cutters, mats, and rulers?

Unless I am reasonably sure the person can use them properly - or will allow me to instruct them - and I can see for myself that they have a clue - I prefer not to lend things to people that they can wreck.

It's one thing if I mess up my stuff -I really do mind if someone else does.

It's also a matter of - I might be more willing to let you use my machines at MY house - not so sure about letting you take them to YOUR house.

How about you?
a neighbor I know fairly well recently came and said her grandson (age 7) was coming for a visit and wanted to make a quilt, she didn't sew & didn't have a machine & could she borrow one for him to use (knowing I had several)? I had a good older Kenmore that was used infrequently that I lent to her, advised on a rag fleece quilt for him to make, & loaned misc tools (no rotary tho). It was a positive experience, she sent a picture postcard of him sewing on the machine, a $20 gift card and returned the machine & tools timely and in good condition. So not all lending turns into a bad experience. I was glad to do it and appreciated the opportunity to start a new quilter on his way. Some things I don't lend but some I do and will.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Only my best quilting friends can borrow my quilting stuff. We feel like our sewing rooms are all our sewing rooms. No one else gets to borrow my tools to take out of my home. What chaps me is at a class or workshop, I buy the ruler or tool recommended for the class and someone will ask to borrow it for a minute because they didn't buy one. I can say NO in a second.
I got over being nice a long time ago to freeloaders.
I agree with you
Old 05-15-2015, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by sassysews2 View Post
a neighbor I know fairly well recently came and said her grandson (age 7) was coming for a visit and wanted to make a quilt, she didn't sew & didn't have a machine & could she borrow one for him to use (knowing I had several)? I had a good older Kenmore that was used infrequently that I lent to her, advised on a rag fleece quilt for him to make, & loaned misc tools (no rotary tho). It was a positive experience, she sent a picture postcard of him sewing on the machine, a $20 gift card and returned the machine & tools timely and in good condition. So not all lending turns into a bad experience. I was glad to do it and appreciated the opportunity to start a new quilter on his way. Some things I don't lend but some I do and will.
I am so happy to hear your experience! So many people have had bad ones, your story restores my faith in people.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:47 PM

They cost too much to lend to anyone unless that person would be willing (and able) to replace them if damaged. The fact that they want to borrow indicates that they are not. Therefore, I don't lend.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:02 PM

I have one friend that I will share anything with biut others NOT
Old 05-15-2015, 06:44 PM

I let a "friend" come to my house to use my serger. She used it to sew vinyl bags. Had to replace the blades -- she didn't offer to do it. So no, I don't loan anything to anyone else. My grandkids can come use anything they want but that is it. Once burned, twice shy!
Old 05-15-2015, 07:52 PM

Only let people use what you are comfortable with. I would not lend out a good machine, you just don't know what its' going to be used for. It really is okay to say no. I don't mind sharing rulers, cutters etc at a retreat but not my machine. I also be sure to replace a blade if I use someone elses rotary cutter.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:32 PM

I don't lend my quilting supplies to anyone. If someone needs something I have, I would rather give it to them than worry about whether it will be taken care of or returned. No one has asked, so it isn't an issue - yet.

I am willing to let friends come over to quilt a quilt on my frame/machine set up, though. A few have asked whether I would quilt a quilt for them, and I say no, but come on over and use my machine. I'll get you going and watch over you and my stuff while you quilt. No takers yet.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by happylab View Post
I only lend out items I won't miss. I figure If I say yes and it's not returned it is no biggie. Never, ever would I lend out a sewing machine, unless I was getting rid of it anyway. I've paid too much for my machines and supplies. I would do what many members mentioned, borrow it at my place, not to be taken out to borrow. I prize my quilting machines and supplies, like other women prize their diamonds.
This is my answer completely.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:03 AM

Thank you all for giving me the courage to say "NO". I don't ask to borrow, if I need something I will purchase it myself; but I have a very hard time saying "no" when someone wants to borrow something I have. Too many times it came back broke or never came back at all. So today I am practicing saying "no, no, no"