Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about lending your tools to someone? >

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

Old 05-14-2015, 01:14 PM

My sister sews and I would loan her things and she loans me things. I have never had anyone ask if they could borrow anything. I have given things to people to help them get started. Honestly, I wouldn't loan my quilting machine or any of my other machines to anyone except my sister. They are too expensive to replace.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:17 PM

Only at my house with supervision - maybe. I have learned the hard ways, that most people do not take care of my possessions to my standards.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

My sister who lives next door....sure! Fine! Anyone else...probably not.

I once loaned a 45 record to one of my sister's friends. It came back with strawberry jam on it.

Last edited by Boston1954; 05-14-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

That's an easy one to answer: ABSOLUTELY NOT! Now in a class situation, I will share my things with fellow sewers but to let my goodies leave the room or house? Nope, not going to happen. Things are too expensive and many people are too careless.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:33 PM

Loaned my class sewing machine to daughter in-law, great gal. When I ask her to return it after 6 months the needle threader was broken. Replaced it for $8.00. I am sure she had no idea. Inexpensive lesson learned. Don't lend your machine.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:37 PM

I would to my daughter next door, but that is about as far as I am willing to go. I have a large investment in all of my equipment and sure want to keep track of it.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:12 PM
MCH

Why is so hard to say, "No, I prefer to not loan or borrow"? For a quilting class teacher to insist that one loan something to another, for whatever reason, I would find insulting and say so...and then either gather my things and walk out or ask the teacher if they would underwrite any damages. If the class is a "group project" sponsored by the shop, then the shop should provide the necessary tools.

There are so many people who believe they are "entitled" to whatever, just because they show up.

Perhaps a response would be, "Thanks for noticing my tools. I do enjoy using them. If there is a particular one that appeals to you, it's available at __________(fill in the blank) and the price is around ________dollars." Then, say no more.

I grew up in a time when "designed obsolescence" and "it's not worth fixing" were foreign concepts. My Grandfather was a carpenter, the women in our family sewed / quilted / cooked / cleaned, my Father was an engineer, and I had my toys. Each person valued their tools and would not tolerate anyone's abusing them, be that person be a child or an adult. "The adults should know better and the kids need to be taught respect for others' possessions."

One may have a soft heart toward others...and that's good. But that doesn't mean one forgoes 'tough love' when necessary. It may be tough to say no, but most times when we don't, we get to pick up the pieces. I have enough to do, just picking up after myself.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:41 PM

Depends on who's asking! I have my very best quilting friends with whom I would share anything! So nice to have friends like that!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:55 PM

I don't loan anything. Like was said before, it's alright if I mess it up, but not if someone else does it.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't share my 'stuff' with anyone, except the two friends I quilt with on Tuesdays bee. they are quilters and know about dinging a rotary cutter and such. They are both experienced seamstresses and know what to do with the tools. they are great friends too.