Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about lending your tools to someone? >

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

Old 05-14-2015, 08:42 AM

I'm inclined to be too generous with my quilt supplies. Have loaned quilt books and never got them back or even a mention that I would get them back.
I have a favorite pair of scissors that were a gift and in sewing group someone just picked them up and used them. It took several months to get themback. Yep, they were marked. quilt books seldom come back. So, I'm reluctant to take or use my best things to quilt group.
i rarely borrow, maybe in our quilt workshops for a moment.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:58 AM

The only people who are allowed to use my quilting tools are seasoned quilters. My friends and I often share rulers and such at our group sewing days.
Sharon
Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 AM

I agree for the most part of what you stated. I have allowed someone to use my sewing machine at my house but not take it out of my house. I've even offered to let a newly made quilt buddy to use my quilt machine but again that's at my house. As to a friend whose just learning out to make a quilt, I just went thru my stash of tools, rulers, etc. and gave her extras that I had. Its such an expensive hobby and if I can help someone enjoy it I will but I won't go so out of my way that they expect it all the time. Once they get started, they're on their own for buying more rulers, fabrics, etc. Been there, done that with a young lady and once she realized I was no longer going to supply her with everything, she quit altogether.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:29 AM

To me things are just that, things. They can be replaced. People, on the other hand, cannot. I would loan anything I have to another quilter if they needed it's. ❤️❤️❤️
Old 05-14-2015, 09:52 AM

Guess I am more like Michellesews - they are just things and I am pretty quick to share and lend my quilting items. But I have never had anyone ask to borrow my big machines. My friend comes over and uses my embroidery machine at my house - so I don't think that I would actually lend my Husqvarna embroidery/sewing machine or Janome MC 6600P but that is because of their size. I do have 2 featherweights and another portable that I have let people use. Each one has an owners manual that would go along with them.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:25 AM

I find this thread very interesting. As a whole, quilters are kind, generous souls. It seems that a lot of you have been burned because of your generosity and are a bit more leery now. That's sad but that's what happens when you are burned. I still think quilters (and sewists too) are really wonderful helpful people. It's ok if you no longer want to lend out your precious tools. What's that saying - once burned, twice shy....
Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 AM

Because I volunteer teach some quilting classes word gets around and I've been given four machines. I'm having back problems now and can no longer cart them to classes so I've started to give them away when I see someone in need. I too, have several rotary cutters and share those as well. When I teach, I take all of my cutters, mats, scissors (not Ginghers) to class. It's not the kind of class you take where students take their own supplies. Some of the students have never touched a sewing machine. I love teaching.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:21 AM

Lender beware!

Thankfully, I write my first name/last initial on everything I take to classes. At the end of one class, the woman next to me grabbed one of my rulers as we were packing up (she'd asked to use it and I reluctantly said yes). I nicely said it was mine: she claimed it was hers. I showed her my name on the ruler. She still almost didn't give it back!

If I hadn't been paying attention, my ruler would have gone home with her. That was the last time I said "yes" if someone wants to borrow anything from me at a class.

And I keep an eye on my rulers. They are too expensive to replace.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:36 AM

Learned years ago, people who borrow either do not return or mess it up and haven't a clue and NEVER offer to replace it. Never having a large income, I cannot afford to replace so I do not lend. Now if I had a sewing room might let them come to my place and use under supervision if they are new, and that goes for anything, lawnmowers, lawn equipment etc and never loaned a car.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:01 PM

no no and double no...sorry but you need to buy your own stuff just like I sacrificed and bought mine. I put my name on everything. Now I do have exceptions to my rule. Like a very special friend who I go to places with and she forgot hers, she is welcome to borrow mine etc....I would rather give someone who really wants to sew and can't afford it, I would buy them a 35.00 sewing machine and give then a couple tools and some fabric, as I am not really that mean lol.,,,but my personal supplies is off limits. I like things to be exactly the way I left them.