Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about lending your tools to someone? >

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

Old 05-14-2015, 04:07 AM

A friend of my dad's wife would lend me her machine when I came down & sat with my dad so she could go and visit her family in Chicago. I really really appreciated it. The friend was a quilter. I always got her a gift certificate from a quilting store in the area as a thank you. I did worry about the machine but she told me not too worry about it because she knew I wouldn't do anything really dumb to hurt it.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:08 AM
Power Poster

No, no, no!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:19 AM

I DON'T LEND, I would rather give as every one has a different way of using things and I am a bit picky with mine.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:26 AM

At guild there are only three people I permit to use my tools, one usually sits next to me and is very good about returning them to me after each use. The other two are very trustworthy and if one of us gets a new toy, we each try it and usually purchase one for ourselves. There is one I would never ever loan a tool to again.

Me, I love gadgets and if I find a new one, I look for the best deal I can find before I purchase it. My all time favorite ruler is a Creative Grids 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" ruler. It is hard to find, so I usually buy a couple when I find them for my gift drawer.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:46 AM

I have some wonderful quilting friends that I have met through the QB. They come to "play in my sandbox", which is my whole basement. They are free to use anything in the studio. They use my machines, and whatever they need to complete a project. We trade templates and patterns often. But I would hesitate to loan out a machine to someone. I have several vintage machines that are pretty hard to misuse, but my electronic machines...never.
Old 05-14-2015, 04:55 AM

After being in a group where. Items went missing. I now only share with people I know and trust.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:18 AM

I have a really good friend that I loan my tools to. She also lends to me. We also swap fabric for making quilts. She either shops in my stash or I do hers before we head to the store.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Sewing machine?

Rotary cutters, mats, and rulers?

Unless I am reasonably sure the person can use them properly - or will allow me to instruct them - and I can see for myself that they have a clue - I prefer not to lend things to people that they can wreck.

It's one thing if I mess up my stuff -I really do mind if someone else does.

It's also a matter of - I might be more willing to let you use my machines at MY house - not so sure about letting you take them to YOUR house.

How about you?
Well, I don't lend out my sewing stuff and I don't borrow it as well. If i see something someone else has and I think I want it I buy it. I would never let one of my sewing machines be borrowed, I have too much money invested in them. There a lot of things I don't share, another one is my Husband, lol....just had to add that one.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:45 AM

Oh No, I don't lend. When I was in Scrapbooking, people often asked to "borrow", I always told them, I'd love to have them come to my house and use it. I think in Scrapbooking and Quilting. It's something people have every intention of doing but life puts things on the backburner. By having them come to my house ( no one ever did) I could be assured that they actually used the item and didn't just put it away for another time. Leaving me inconvenienced and them with another monkey on their back.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:07 AM

When I took my very first quilting class they gave a list and I purchased everything I needed. Got to class and someone did not have a scissors. Instructor asked me to loan her mine (new Gingham), I felt compelled to let her though I didn't like it. The entire class I had to wait to use my own scissors. Never again! Nothing. People don't take care of things and are not considerate. They usually act like it now belongs to them, and I no longer have a problem saying NO. Don't like it, to bad.