Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Checklist for Quilting Class >

Checklist for Quilting Class

Checklist for Quilting Class

Old 09-08-2013, 01:00 PM

Default Checklist for Quilting Class

I'm excited to start my first quilting class ever this Thursday! Wondering if those of you with experience would advise me on what to take to it, especially things I might not think of.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:12 PM

Other than the items on the class supply list, I take extra machine needles, scraps for leaders, and I make up "business cards" on my computer. You make new friends and this is a handy way to share names/emails. I also take mints, water and some paper towels. I put my water in an insulated thermos so it doesn't "sweat" on anything. Remember to mark your name on your supplies, we all use the same items and they get mixed up sometimes and the "gremlins" hide them. Bring a check list of the items you bring, to make sure you didn't leave something, or take something in error. Enjoy your class!!!
Old 09-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

It really depends on what will be done in the class. The teacher should have given you a list. Often things like cutting mats and irons are provided in the classroom, but not always. If you start sewing on your first class then you need to make sure your sewing machine is in good working order, that you know how to use it, and don't forget things like the bobbin holder, bobbins, electrical cord, extra needles, and the right sewing machine foot. (1/4 inch foot if you have it) Bring the instruction book for the sewing machine "just in case." It's a good idea to have several bobbins already wound with a neutral color. Other supplies - thread, rotary cutter, ruler(s), pattern if the teacher has required one, straight pins, paper and pencil for taking notes... Edited to add - don't forget the foot control for your machine!!! That's easy to leave behind.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Power Poster

My first ever quilt class and hour and half away from home, I forgot my power cord and foot petal to my machine. I was so careful trying to pack everything I needed. The shop owner had a loaner machine I could use. Now I take an extra machine just in case someone needs it. My extra machine has saved the day of many class members.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Power Poster

nhweaver... i like your checklist idea... probably a lifesaver
Old 09-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Like dunster said, the shop should have given you a list of what to bring for the class. I would suggest you call and ask if you have time before your class.

I have a clear plastic makeup tote where I keep my supplies for classes and traveling to sew with others. I do keep a checklist in it also. It includes: needles in a variety of sizes; rotary cutters of different sizes and blades; scissors; painters' tape; pencils to mark fabric; pins; seam gauge; a small 6" ruler; and reading glasses. On the checklist is also what else I might need to take: DSM with cord and foot pedal; seat cushion; rulers; spiral bound notepaper and pen; washed and pressed fabric and pattern. My travel/class checklist is on a brightly colored 3x5 card, so I can easily find it.

You may want to put a reminder on your DSM travel case about the power cord and the foot pedal. I often take my own small surge protector extension cord too.

When going to a class I add the class list.

Since it has gotten more difficult for me to cut fabric I often ask the teacher for cutting instructions so I can do that at home and keep up with others in a class situation.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Seam ripper, small scissors, tiny iron
Old 09-08-2013, 03:10 PM

Oh, they gave me a class supplies list that includes the obvious: fabric, scisscos, pins, machine, and stuff for the project itself, but the kinds of things you all are adding would be additional things I appreciate knowing.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:42 PM

My teacher is very good & I have not needed anything that was not on her list.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 PM

If you have a small cutting mat you could place beside you for trimming blocks that is helpful. Don't forget the seam ripper. A small bag for threads and clippings is handy.