Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Do you have a checklist for when you buy a used machine? >

Do you have a checklist for when you buy a used machine?

Do you have a checklist for when you buy a used machine?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Default Do you have a checklist for when you buy a used machine?

Do you have a set of criteria when you buy a vintage or used machine?

Are there any things that would make you say "no thanks" to a model that you had been looking for?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

For me it has to be pretty, or at least have the potential to become pretty again.
It has to work. I am not knowledgeable enough for wiring etc. I can do basic cleaning, oiling etc.
It has to have most of it's parts. Unless I know I can get a part at a reasonable price I won't buy it.

I lost a little piece for my Singer 201 while I was cleaning it and a replacement piece is only about 6 bucks so I ordered it. But I've seen things like bobbin cases for Featherweights that people want a fortune for.

I need to stop looking at old machines though b/c I'm addicted to them. I have way more than I need. It's so much fun!
Old 08-06-2017, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Oh another very important thing- the cords have to be in good condition b/c I don't know how to replace things like that.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:51 AM

I went on the recommendation of my repair person who is very good. I found a used Pfaff 1473 for $200. It was missing some things but she encouraged me to get it anyway because she said it was one of Pfaff's best models. She replaced the missing parts and serviced it and I love how it sews. I now have a machine worth many times what I paid for it. So, moral of the story is find out the machines your service person recommends and go for it.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

I paid $250 for my 1473. the "creative" part was/is missing, and I had to replace a couple of the basic feet, but other than that, I think I got an okay deal.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Bear, I think I was answering a question you may not have asked- I thought you meant machines like old Singers. Sorry if I misread!
Old 08-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Power Poster

i has to have needle down, a thread cutter, a knee lift, and most importantly, an automatic needle threader.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Power Poster

I was just talking older machines in general.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:16 PM

They have to clean up reasonably well, but I take on lots of grime and dust with out hesitating too much. It's a pluss if all parts are there and nothing really broken, but I accept replacing parts if I know they are available. I know parts can turn out to be a major fuzz, like spool pins, I swear I had to order three times just to get the right type, and for Singers they additionally came in various shades of chrome and nickle finishes making things difficult. If we want it done right, it can require more effort than expected. I haven't done relacquering or restoring decals, and more than a trace of rust puts me off.

If it's a model I look for (like a 201K2) I would hardly say no and brave up for a full clean up and rewiring if needed. At the right price I can be tempted ;- )
Old 08-06-2017, 01:22 PM

For me, the wheel has to be able to move and the feed dogs move with it. It is a plus if the motor already works, but I'm not scared off yet if it doesn't. It has to have at least one foot and some bobbins (I am so nervous about those old Singers with shuttles!) I'm not too worried about the wirings because my DH is an electrician and he loves fixing things! And it has to have parts that are easy-ish to find on eBay, etc. I would prefer no rust and grime, as I am a little sick of stuck screws at the moment, lol!