Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you have any bleeding problems with Moda Summer Breeze fabrics? >

Did you have any bleeding problems with Moda Summer Breeze fabrics?

Did you have any bleeding problems with Moda Summer Breeze fabrics?

Old 09-20-2013, 12:01 PM

Default Did you have any bleeding problems with Moda Summer Breeze fabrics?

I was wondering if I can use this fabric line together (a few darks but mostly medium and light fabrics) without prewashing and be okay just using a color catcher the first few times washing it.

Would I be okay using the dark blues from this line next to white bella solid?
Old 09-20-2013, 12:09 PM

I didn't use mine with white, didn't wash and didn't bleed at all. To be on the safe side, I would prewash.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:38 PM

I always pre-wash using color catchers. When I started quilting 3 years ago, there was much discussion about fabric, where it has been, how it traveled, how it was created, how many hands touched it (by the way I touch every piece of fabric when I am checking it out to use in a quilt and I am sure others do the same thing, how many people touched it from factory to me) soooo, I wash all my fabric, starch it and iron it before I start working on a project. I just throw it in the wash with the clothes or sheets or towels, etc usually adding 2 color catchers in a net bag and yep, almost always there is color on the color catchers from just a tad to a solid color when the wash is done. My two cents!
Old 09-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Power Poster

if you really do not want to pre=wash at least do a color test (wet a piece of the dark fabric & rub with a paper towel or piece of white muslin & see if any color comes off- if color comes off you need to prewash-if no color comes off you are probably safe.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Power Poster

I just finished a quilt in the Summer Breeze fabrics from white to dark and and because it was a block of the month I could not pre wash. I will use color catchers when I wash it but I don't expect any problems.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:41 PM

Red face

Where do you buy color catchers? I read about so many of you using them that I want to try them.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 PM

Here is an easy test for color fastness -- and color absorbtion. Wet a piece of the dark color and a piece of the light color, place the light color on a white paper towel not quite in the center. Place the dark so it is both on the light and on the paper towel, put a weight on top (like a glass jar or drinking glass full of water) so it puts weitht on the dark fabric where it is on the light and on the paper towel. Leave it set over night. The pressure over both fabrics simulates the pressure of the seam and will let you know if the dark bleeds and if the light will absorb the dye. The pressure on the dark and the paper towel tells you if the darke will bleed. Saw this on a quilt show and it does help decide to wash or not (before I had to wash everything).
Old 09-20-2013, 06:51 PM

Shout Color Catchers...I buy mine in the grocery store in the laundry aisle. Sometimes you have to look closely.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Power Poster

If it's not pre-cuts, why not wash just to be safe?
Old 09-21-2013, 02:40 AM

I have always been a non pre washer, but you may have made me rethink that.
Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven View Post
I always pre-wash using color catchers. When I started quilting 3 years ago, there was much discussion about fabric, where it has been, how it traveled, how it was created, how many hands touched it (by the way I touch every piece of fabric when I am checking it out to use in a quilt and I am sure others do the same thing, how many people touched it from factory to me) soooo, I wash all my fabric, starch it and iron it before I start working on a project. I just throw it in the wash with the clothes or sheets or towels, etc usually adding 2 color catchers in a net bag and yep, almost always there is color on the color catchers from just a tad to a solid color when the wash is done. My two cents!